Are you really prepared? Seriously????

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yup, that "no injuries" caught my eye.

So important....more slowly and smart!!! Cause if injured we are useless.

I go all day long and never stop but not in great shape to run the marathon.....I guess it is the "tortoise and the hare" and the "ant and the grasshopper"

and I shoot well and can make sure what is mine is mine..LOL

but the younger ones, OH MY, they sure grew up in a time of plenty.......not knowing how to re-create it or to survive literally. Good thing us SS people can take care of our own and our friends and family and survive.

And there IS alot of us out there!!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
and UJoe

you are so right, tons of the 20 somethings out there can't even spend a day hiking let alone take a crack at survival.....hmm....

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
That may be true, but I also know a ton of 30, 40, 50, 60 and 70+ somethings who are incredibly out of shape, even those who used to be more SS. If there's not an economic need, it seems very few people choose to be SS. Driving instead of walking, convenience foods and little physical activity doing hard work soon take their toll.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
That may be true, but I also know a ton of 30, 40, 50, 60 and 70+ somethings who are incredibly out of shape, even those who used to be more SS. If there's not an economic need, it seems very few people choose to be SS. Driving instead of walking, convenience foods and little physical activity doing hard work soon take their toll.
Everyone's SS ways are different....saving some money and still not doing the work yourself etc.

BUT good thing there are tons of them out there that "see the light" of what must be done and handled and fixed and ----will it happen? who knows?

personal health plays a part big time....someone totally into SS at 30 may have big health problems that literally stop that trend in their life....that is where all must help.

Not sure of your point actually...LOL-LOL

Convenience in the world equals sloth in most people ---but there is "the others" that don't take the easy physical way out.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
and UJoe

you are so right, tons of the 20 somethings out there can't even spend a day hiking let alone take a crack at survival.....hmm....
20 somethings? Heck,my12 year olds bf cant make a simple 1 mile hike!!!

We are very active on this farmett to begin with. Then there are the daily 6 miles of running and or walking.

Most of our implements are manuel round here. The fencing and cross fencing were done all manuel. I hate "edging" the trees and fence lines by hand though. I gotta get goats for that!

I think we would be pretty lean if we had to be totally ss. We would probably be 100% vegetarians because every animal instantly becomes a pet. I would have to get more chickens 3 eggs per day would not be enough.

Remember that PBS special on living the pioneer way? I would love to experience that!!!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I've noticed that too me&thegals, there are alot of older people who grew up SS and have been like that and wise in their ways for years; but then more andmore convenience items come out and they get slowly weaned off from being SS.. Or they are not just too old that they can't do as much, FarmerChick is right at that, we need to be nieghborly and helpful sometimes..

On the other hand, there are very few younger people that are SS at all or would know the first thing about anything when it comes to taking care of themselves.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
FC,
I am not sure how to answer this thread. Of course I am not as physically fit as I should be. But yes I am healthy and can work hard. I think most of us SS people could manage. Slow and steady wins the race.

Dang you sure know how to stir the pot!!

Hey UncleJoe, long time no see. You canning tomatoes this year???

:)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
inchworm said:
Bee -- You've really piqued my interest. I'd love to see you do a journal about your upbringing in detail.

Inchy
I've thought about that and I would really like my mom and I to collaborate on a small book on it. She did a lion's share of work back there, more than us kids did. The woman would can about 400 jars of produce each summer on a wood cookstove....talk about hot! We helped, of course, but we were usually mowing, hoeing, clearing brush, slopping or watering animals and getting in fire wood. For some reason, Dad always waited until the hottest part of the year to get in wood. :rolleyes: Talk about briars, ticks, mosquitoes and snakes...... :/

When she and I think back on it, we always shake our heads and wonder how in the world we got it all done with no running water or electricity, in a two room log cabin. Funny how much a person can do without and still be perfectly happy, isn't it? We were always busy, in great shape, healthy as horses and had good, fresh foods. Not much of anything else, but we had good food.....well, except that first year....things were mighty slim then and we were a little hungry at times.

Alaska Animal Lover

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Mackay said:
I've been reading the serial books by Diana Gabaldon, about a woman doctor who falls through a crack in ceremonial stones (like stone henge) into the past and lives around the revolutionary war time, actually in the colony days as well as in Scotland in this same time period. Its about her love story and her work as a healer. Its kinda interesting how she works to try to survive and the things they do to get by. It made me think that we just really have no concept on how hard it was then or how hard it really could be.....they are fun books to read and I've been lost in her time for about 3 months now.
I LOVE this series! I can't wait for the newest one out in September. It's so interesting, her knowledge of herbs, her frequent foraging for medicines.
The author really took her time researching this material.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Alaska Animal Lover said:
Mackay said:
I've been reading the serial books by Diana Gabaldon, about a woman doctor who falls through a crack in ceremonial stones (like stone henge) into the past and lives around the revolutionary war time, actually in the colony days as well as in Scotland in this same time period. Its about her love story and her work as a healer. Its kinda interesting how she works to try to survive and the things they do to get by. It made me think that we just really have no concept on how hard it was then or how hard it really could be.....they are fun books to read and I've been lost in her time for about 3 months now.
I LOVE this series! I can't wait for the newest one out in September. It's so interesting, her knowledge of herbs, her frequent foraging for medicines.
The author really took her time researching this material.
So glad to hear that there is another book coming out. I really have to wait till September?