Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
98.6 in the shade according to my little indoor/outdoor thermometer. :hit

It's not officially summer yet and I'm ready for fall or winter. :hide

Dawn

S

sunsaver

Wow! It's hot up there too. Sad thing is when it rains, it will probably be severe.:hide

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We hit 112.5 in the shade yesterday! :th Ended up with a nice little thunderstorm just after 5 p.m. which cooled us down to the low 80's and gave us 1/2 an inch of much needed rain! :bow

Keep cool!

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
We hit 108 yesterday, plus whatever for the heat index. :th I wanted to find a nice cool root cellar and camp in it.

Roy

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
We live in a small dumpy little town about 40 miles west of Memphis. We are from Fl and we are building pur own home out of pocket. My wife and I have a small 20x20 raised bed garden and expanding it to 30x30 next year. We hace spent about 5k on the homestead so far and are living in the cottage we are building. We need to finish the trim in the kitchen and Br and begin on the living room addition. We will have a about 600 sq ft under air when we are finished. We are perfectly happy with the size as we started off our family lives in a 4200 sqft and all the bills that went with it. As empty nesters we have more thatn enough room now. I am gathering parts to build a wind power generator and some solar panels. Right now our elect is around 90 bucks and I hope to cut that in half. As soon as the fence is finished we will get a few chickens for eggs and expand the garden to include fruit trees. Our lot is small, 110x135 but plenty of room considering the footprint of the cottage. We have a greenhouse which i raised bout 1000 plants last spring and gave away hundreds to the neighbors. My wife grows and dries herbs and we can a lot of veggies. The most important thing about all of this is we are healthier and having fun doing it. I cant wait to retire so i can do more.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
how cool is that! :frow Welcome from central Kansas! We're empty nesters, sorta. Oldest son stays with us for weeks to months when he's in the US.

We're building, too, living in a construction zone. Next house is going to be really small, we learned a lot from this one. I was trying to figure out if we'd get everything we wanted in 500 ft, but I think 700 - 800 is more what we'll end up. Make sure you give us all the details of your projects as you go along, k? :D