Arkansas

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have heard that there is a chance that drilling can cause earthquakes due to the pressure being relieved on the plates. There are literally hundreds of wells within 30 miles around us. That can't be good.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
rebecca100 said:
I have heard that there is a chance that drilling can cause earthquakes due to the pressure being relieved on the plates. There are literally hundreds of wells within 30 miles around us. That can't be good.
Are they doing wells in the Ouachitas much? That's where I want to get land but I don't want oil wells close by.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
LOL BBH I have lost my mind several times since then!!!! I had forgotten completely about it! I think it's true too. The drilling has gone on for about five years here and there are several people here who refused to sell their mineral rights because they believe it too. I spoke with a biologist last year who was taking water samples from where I was fishing and he told me the drilling companies were doing a lot of damage to the land and water. (BTW the water samples were tested good where I was fishing at!)

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hello fellow Arkansans!

Doc_gonzo and I moved to the Evening Shade (of Sharp Co.) area at the end of September 2009 from middle TN. We just got back on-line last week and are excited to be back.

I first joined here in January '09. Doc and I were in a motorcycle accident almost a month later and life got crazy after that. We were awarded some settlement money from the accident (kid ran a red light on us, never saw him coming due to a concrete wall) and after all the hospital bills were paid, we decided to invest the rest of the money on some land instead of continuing to pay rent. We couldn't afford what we were looking for in TN and found our place out here and are loving it!

The acreage was totally undeveloped when we bought it and we've not changed it much. We've cleared about 2 acres for living (camper, coops, storage shed and gardens) with the rest being mostly hardwood trees and plenty of low land blueberries and a nice previously planted blackberry patch.

I'm working on getting pictures together and will be starting a journal of every step we've taken from the beginning.

Really looking forward with talking with everyone!

We brought our Easter Eggers and Silver Spangled Hamburgs with us and added 7 Guineas to the menagerie our first October here.

Dawn

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
Welcome :frow
I'm in Hot Springs (SW of Little Rock), but hoping to get land later. Those berries sound great. I have 1 bush of blackberries that I;m trying to grow in a patio pot. Really hoping it does well. It was wild and in the wrong spot, (trying to catch my skin) so I'm trying to grow it at home.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome, dragonlaurel!

Let me know if your blackberry doesn't make it, got tons of wild ones coming up here in all the wrong places. It's gotten so bad this year that I'm trying to train our new male Australian Shepherd to "water" them strategically for me. Give him permission and he looks at ya like you're nuts and heads toward the herb bed! :gig

Dawn

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
Thanks. This is a total experiment and I just potted it this week.
I was thrilled when it appeared in my garden bed last winter, and covered it to protect it from freezing.
Weeding and planting seeds nearby is hazardous now so it has a big pot on the patio instead. I stuck a tomato cage in the pot to support it. We'll see what happens.

Some dogs don't like peeing against a hard, smooth surface cause it can splash back at them. Some kind of a improvised fence/lawn edging around them out of scrap metal or ??? might work.