Arkansas

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That was a good idea using a tomato cage as a support for it. :cool: We had planned on getting into our big patch last winter to thin it out and train most of them to wire. Winter hit and we never got it done. When spring rolled around, we figured we'd get it done but then all it did was rain and when the rain quit, summer showed up early. :barnie We've gone from one extreme to the other, so far this year. I need to get back up to the patch. We checked on it two weeks ago and had a lot of fruit setting and still had blooming going on so hopefully we'll have another nice crop of blackberries this year. Just had a nice rain come in this evening (finally) which I was glad to see. Our big patch is too far away from a water source so it's a do or die situation for them for the time being. We thought we wouldn't get any berries last year due to lack of rain and got some just in time for the fruit to ripen nicely so we may get lucky again. :fl

Thanks for the info on the "water shield". We have some tin that I can put up temporarily in his favorite spots at the herb garden. It's south-facing so it'll heat up good and hopefully help. We haven't had a male dog in 14 years and I forgot what it was like. LOL He's good with the birds so I can't complain too much. ;)

Dawn

P.S. What is the Hot Springs area like? We're finally getting to a point at our place that we'd like to make some time for exploring and Skip will have to be in Little Rock in about 4 - 5 months.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
The tomato cage will keep it mostly upright, so I can walk by without getting grabbed by thorns constantly. It was leftover from last years garden.
Vines that get really heavy like cukes , pole beans, or some tomatoes are better with bamboo teepees. Lean them up into a teepee shape and have somebody tie it together with good rope.

Hope the "water" shield works for you. I've heard about it but haven't tested it.

S

sunsaver

I'm just forty miles south of the Arkansas line. I know it doesn't count, but i'm close by.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:welcome

Hi sunsaver!

It felt funny using that smiley since I've been a member here longer but you have more posts!

I've just come off of an almost 2 year vacation from having internet access. :D

Dawn

S

sunsaver

How hot is it in Arkansas? It's 102*F here in north Louisiana.:th