asparagus

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
At first picking of the early shoots that happen before the end of freezing temps, I do take all shoots big enough to eat because they will freeze back and be lost anyway.

Once killing frosts are over, I leave the young plants alone. I have not noticed any loss of young plants by doing it this way. Whether I harvest the shoot or the frost gets it, the plant recovers for me.
Thank You for the info 👍

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
1.99 for 50 seed...https://seednerds.com/products/asparagus-mary-washington-seeds-heirloom-seeds-asparagus-seeds-vegetable-seeds-open-pollinated-non-gmo

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our co-op has asparagus root crowns and they are pretty decent looking... $25 for 25 in a bunch... so I think that is reasonable... I might go on and get one bunch... Have to see what kind they are... would get a year ahead... and still do some seeds.
That sounds reasonable 👍 and like you said it'll jump a year.

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would definitely buy an all male variety. Of course... if you are thinking VERY LONG term... you might not mind having some plants that will self propagate! Of course, most likely, you can take root cuttings, and they will be quicker to establish than seedlings.

Check your personal e-mail

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You can buy the older root stock, just costs more. IMO it's worth it. It's like fruit trees, I don't want to wait 5-7 yrs for fruit! So, I buy something ready to produce in a year.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Last edited: