BarredBuff's Homesteading Shenanigans

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
his year were pretty much starting out at my parents place.

all the eggs we can eat
tomatoes
yellow squash
zucchini
butternut squash
we MIGHT get watermellon (theres 3 marble sized baby mellons on our vine right now)
lettuce (romain, bib and iceburg)
sping onion
small onions (about golfball sized)
strawberries (not many)
carrots
turnips
and weve got cabbage heading up
cauli if it ever does more than make leaves
same goes for broccoli

and herbs, mostly lemon balm and mints, but weve also got a basil, rosemary, and chives in...i dont know if the basil or rosemary will make it through the winter in ground so im thinking of digging it up potting it and bringing it in for the winter (and leaving it potted next year)

weve also got 5 grape vines (not yet producing)
2 apple trees (not yet producing)
4 blueberry bushes (that i dont thing make it through the summer :( )
and 5 raspberries of various types (of which i think 1 surcumbed to the summer)

im hoping to get some fruit bushes on sale over the next few weeks to replace the blueberries and the one lost raspberry
and will be starting cauli, broccoli and cabbage seeds indoors next week along with direct sowing some more carrot and lettuces for a fall crop.

next year im hoping itll be up to mum and dad cause ill be in my own place...lol

but if not id like to get some spaghetti squash in next year along with the butternut and the yellow an zucchini, im seriously considering having dad build a new bed with a trellis to dedicate to the squash, theyve done wonderfully this year!
more tomatoes (which will be better contained next year, there all over the place this year)
and im hoping we can get better production out of the bell peppers next year, we got nothign buy 1 bananna pepper of our pepper plants this year :(
generally the rest will be the same, we only plant the stuff we actually eat. my dad wants to do potatoes next year and my sister wants an asparagus bed somewhere so im not sure where they will go but they will go in somewhere...probbaly buckets for the taters.

once i get my own place though...ooo soooo many plans!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
BB, like your question. Maybe you shoud start a threat for it. and peopel can list their stuff and others can ask questions about it and take it from there

We produce:

sweet corn ( fresh, frozen and canned, stalks used for feed and shelter for critters)
green beans (fresh, frozen, canned, pickled and feed, greens and remains used for goat feed, worms (catarpillars) in beans used for chicken feed)
dry beans
peppers, sweet and hot and in between
paprika, dried peppers, frozen peppers, canned peppers (mostly hot pickled ones) and sometimes ancho peppers
carrots
tomatoes and tomato products (fresh, dried, canned and frozen)
Millet (2 kinds, seeds for birds, chickens and grains for us, dried stalks for goats)
Broomcorn (for grains, greens for animals and broom making)
sunflowers (flowers, seed, greens and pretty)
peaches (fresh, canned, frozen etc)
weeds (assorted, for animal, human and medicinal)
herbs of all kinds (used fresh, dried, in teas, tinctures and oils)
popcorn ( used fresh, dried, for animal and humans, greens used for feed and shelter)
amaranth (so far used for feed only, greens, seed heads, hope to use grains and greens for human consumption in the future)
sweet ptatoes (first year, looks like we might be successfull)
pumkins (all sorts, 3rd year of volunteers only, uses: pies, soups, feed, snacks for chickens, humans and goats)
watermelons
musk melons
asian melons (first year, so we'll see what that is like)
blackberries (berries for everyone, jam, sauce, foliage for tea and feed for goats and chickens)
rasberries
strawberries
blueberries
persimmons (fresh and dried, foliage for animal feed)
cucumbers (fresh and pickled)
Zucchini (fresh, frozen, in tomato sauce, and made into our favorite relish)
swiss chard
lettuce
herb seeds (ie: dill, parsley, coriander)
herb flowers (to use in tea or whatever)
Lavender
plums (italian drying plums and burbank, for fesh, canning and cooking)
apples
mustard (assorted, for salads, cooking greens, seeds - made into mustard and used as animal feed)
beets
onions
garlic
shallots
elephant garlic
artichokes
potatoes
acorns (fall into our yard from th neighbr's trees)
walnuts (fall into our yard from th neighbr's trees)
roses (use the trimmings to feed the goats)
Flowers (for pretty and seed and feed)
anise (seed and greens for goat feed)
grapes, we only have eating varieties so far, for eating and greens for rabbit, chickens, goats and leaves for us.
lemons (fresh and frozen, zest and used for preserving freshness in other fruit etc)
peas
kale
broccoli
cauliflower
cabbage

snails (like other bugs, these are inadvertent, but we could eat them, for now we feed them to the chickens)
assorted bugs, caterpillars etc, when found we feed them to the chickens, otherwise the help themselves

chickens
eggs
milk
kefir
yogurt
simple cheses (so far)
kombucha
wine
apple cider vinegar
fruit juices
teas
tinctures (medicinal)
ointment (medicinal)
goat meat (we got the boar baby, we just can't butcher him ourselves, but we will sell him for meat or pet or ...)
medicinal and flavored cooking oils
seeds for planting
all kinds of dried produce
brooms (from the broomcorn we grow)
luffa
firewood
wood
hay

laundry soap

gotta stop, coz i need to do evening chores ;)

got to add:

asparagus
fertilizer (aka poop)
wheat
oats grass
safflower
buckwheat
flax

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Okay now I have time to do a list. Here is what we produce:

peas
corn
green beans
cabbage
cilantro
basil
dill
thyme
pepper sauce
pickled peppers
tabasco peppers
jalapeno peppers
bell peppers
cayenne peppers
okra
cucumbers
relish
yellow squash
acorn squash
tomatoes
tomato products
cabbage
lettuce
turnips
potatoes
carrots
various flowers both edible and non edible
blackberries
blueberries
grapes
strawberries
elderberries
milk
butter
cheese
eggs
bread
chicken meat
fluffy bunny meat
cute ducky meat
squirrel meat
fish meat
laundry soap
worms
hair feathers
fertilizer
compost
firewood
deer bait
hickory nuts
pecans
wild forages

and we have unlimited access to through barter with family

beef
pears
apples
peaches
plums
raspberries
mulberries
various melons
wild forage

and that is all I can think of at the moment

ETA: I forgot wheat, which I will be planting next week :D
EATA: Forgot garlic and onions :/

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Considering I havent updated in 20 yrs I suppose I need to! :p

I have been SOO busy, sister has had ball practice almost everyday till 5 :th and Im killed with all of my business then homestead chores. Ive picked beans twice, then regular feeding and then just other odd jobs.

I havd had a broody duck nesting for a month, she is due to hatch SOON. I have no clue where she is but I see her every morning then she goes back. She peeps like crazy at me. Then I have a buff going broody, she has pulled feathers. Puffs up and growls at everything so I have her under a crate on a nest right now, hopefully she will take to em. She had a nest outside but something made her leave. I have meaties coming in next wednesday so I hope she will brood. SO I can get out of it!

Got several things canned 32 quarts of beans and batch going in tommorow, 6 quarts of grape juice, 5 quarts of dills, 17 quarts of Spaghetti sauce. Still need several other things canned almost 70 more beans to do, then a batch of tomato soup (if we have enough maters), and a spaghetti sauce batch (probably at the end of this week), then hopefully a few quarts of tomatoes, more corn, squash and pumpkin puree, more grape juice, blackberry jam, strawberry jam, a batch of vegetable soup, potatoes, pears, apples, chili, beef stew, sausage, bacon plus MORE that I cant even remember........Ive been freezing yellow squash.

Then tommorow hopefully I can get my lettuce sowed then mustard and turnips. I have cabbage sprouting......and row covers in the basement.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Woohoo! Buff got 10 th place out of 40 in the State!!! :D

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Seed Id? What does that entail, exactly? *grins*

Educate me!