BarredBuff's Homesteading Shenanigans

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
there probably just "practicing" as i call it...
ive known geese breed off season but still not lay untill spring...
heck my male duck is breeding my females and there not laying at allright now (they started then they up and quit on me lol)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Thanks Pinky!

Corn Woman, I take mine off the nest and set them down. It took a week to work but she finally got the message.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Okay weird question, the geese are mating. Why are they doing this now? Is it my light, maybe?
It could well be your light, they{domestics) are very light sensetive and will start 'practicing' as soon as the days start getting longer.This an old trick used by people that show geese, they would love to have a hatch right after the first of the year because these 'early geese' show much better than a younger goose hatched at the normal time. The ganders tend to react first as it takes the goose longer to get her reproduction systen up and running and she isn't much interested in mateing until she starts to lay. this can cause trouble in the goose house because he wants to and she isn't ready yet. You aren't so likely to notice a normal mating because they tend to be shy and like to be private normally.~gd

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Once the meaties are slaughtered they will be moved to a light less coop and nest there.

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Thanks Pinky!

Corn Woman, I take mine off the nest and set them down. It took a week to work but she finally got the message.
Thanks BB after work off she goes.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Corn Woman, be persistent with it and break her. Thats the most human way I know too. Some people do "weird" things and I am not much for that.

Today I got A LOT done! Got up this morning, and I moved 3 older blueberry bushes to the new berry patch. I still have 2 to divide and 1 to move, but I still have until February to do that still. Oh and it was sooooo cold this morning and it was raining but I was to determined (or stubborn to quit) :p I also moved 3 new blackberry brambles that had come up, and got them in the patch. Then I realized when I set them out last year I got them to close to one another. So I moved two of those and spaced it out some more. Then I planted my garlic bulbs finally. Ended that with mulching with straw the garlic and strawberries, then mulched and dressed the blueberries and blackberries.

I was tired after that. :th I am about 2/3 done getting all of my perenials done. I need to get some asparagus and rhubarb out. I need to look into when to do that stuff. This is all in the new garden, we fixed. Then the annual vegetable plots in it need to have the roots and rock picked out and manure needs to be spread on it and the main garden. I am ahead of schedule compared to last year. :p

Then I went and got some trays sown in wheat for the chickens to eat. Since the grass is gone, and bugs are hibernating, the chooks need some 'freshness'. Then I got a rubbermaid together and put some scratch in it and have tried my first round of fermenting feed like Beekissed does. I put two buckets of scratch, 1/2 cup of ACV, 5 pods of Cayenne pepper, and garlic. Then covered it, it is a tad smelly. Just an experiment. The funny thing is that I didnt wash my hands after breaking up the cayenne pepper and then I went to the bathroom and got it on (well you get the picture) :p It was horrible...

After that we went to town and got some rabbit feed, and a new handle for the chicken coop. The wooden one broke off and I wanted a metal one this time so I need to put that on tomorrow.

We also went and seen Gran's nephew, Mom and Auntie's first cousin this evening. He is eat up with cancer, and is dying. I don't know if he knows Jesus or not. But I pray if he doesn't that God will persecute his heart and prepare him for the next life. :/ Would you pray for him? He has lived a long life, and his race is run. I just hope he is ready for the next track.

Tomorrow is our Thanksgiving feast here at home. :drool

Menu:

Turkey and dressing
Mashed Potatoes
Green beans
Sweet potato casserole
Brocolli casserole
Cranberry sauce
Rolls
Squash Pie
Pecan Pie

2/3 of which was made/grown here at home :weee :weee :woot

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I always wear gloves when I handle any type of hot peppers!

I'll be praying for your cousin.

Your menu sounds :drool

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Thanks DD! I usually do with fresh peppers, but didn't with these dried ones.