BarredBuff's Homesteading Shenanigans

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Sounds like a GREAT summer job! Hey, maybe you could find a spot to plant a few veggie plants -- teach the kids all about horticulture, benefits of fresh, share the produce and pretend it's just for them. Do enjoy the summer.

You can always live your farm life here until the real thing can happen again for you. We are, after all, a group of enablers.
If you were near me I'd let you plow, plant, milk, clean, cook and enjoy it all...like every grandma!
I do get to teach the great outdoors class when the students arrive. SO, I do get some much needed nature time. I still get to do some of my cooking. For a 21 year old guy, I cook like an elderly house wife. :old AND it is wonderful!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
BB, I just caught up on your posts since April. Called to preach! That's fantastic! I can't think of a better calling! I'd love to hear more, and to find out how you got your job. It sounds like there's a good story there. PM me if you have time to tell it. I'm all ears. :)
Your garden sounds good.
I made raised beds this year too. Mine are 2x6's. I have then two high on each side. My beds are 9 feet long by 1 1/2 feet wide by 2 feet tall. There are pictures under the thread More and More Free Wood from this spring but heres a more recent picture.
tmp_14715-20180605_093609-1332471644.jpg

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Those are beautiful, BB!!! You should submit that pic to the P of the W, for sure...just lovely to look upon.

BB, you have done more homesteading/gardening in your young life than most oldsters nowadays have done....I've always been so very impressed with your gumption and also wished you could spread it like a virus to my own boys. They have absolutely no interest in gardening, raising food, homesteading(beyond just having land to hunt on and pee on).

That you also can is simply amazing....you are going to make some young lady a great husband one day. :hugs You are so rare in your generation...even in MY generation.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I was able to walk in at the clinic this morning and get looked at. I normally don't get sick much. However, since I student taught this past year-- I have been sick a lot. The kiddos carry all kinds of germs. I have sinus drainage and a severe ear infection. Second infection in two months. I got two shots and an antibiotic. I am feeling better. Right now, I am sweating it out profusely.

I didn't get any heavy gardening done this morning. I didn't feel like getting out in the heat. I did make blueberry jam. I managed to can up five half pints. It is a favorite. It's very tangy. Now, saving up for another batch in a few days.

q8nwAVShReCHIpU+NJOH%Q.jpg

This afternoon, I have mainly started cleaning on my old bedroom and working on reorganizing things to move my bed and clothes from college home in a few weeks. I have accumulated so many books in the past ten years, and I can't bear to store them or get rid of them. However, they have outgrown my book shelf. A friend of mine from church makes custom furniture and I think I might get him to build one this fall. I have books everywhere and I ordered some more today.

For anyone interested, Backwoods Home Magazine sold their warehouse and are having sales and a discount going right now. I got about eighty dollars worth of books for thirty dollars today. In my opinion, they have the best selection of references and writers out there for self reliant living.

You can check it out here https://www.backwoodshome.com

Tonight, I am going to get back to cleaning and arranging in my room. My desk is next on the list. Hopefully, I will continue to get better and can set out a few marigolds and zinnias around my cucumbers and squashes. And if I'm feeling really spunky maybe re-plant some squash seeds in a few hills. Some came up great and some did not. Oh well. Tis' life.

I'm not sure who all is a Southern Gospel fan, BUT if you are or want to be here is a great song from The McKameys that I found the other day and have fell in love with it. Listen to it--- its good stuff.

"The Holy Spirit Prayed"

Have a great day!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I am impressed with your level of achievement. It is rare to find it in a young person and I am always blown away to find a man who cans. Kudos to you! Maybe you can encourage others to garden and grow their own food.

Thank you. I am just blessed with good mentors, and supporters along the way. I learned to can when Gran couldn't anymore. I am her little helper at heart. I took it and ran with it. I didn't want the tradition to die and then it morphed into this lifestyle really. I read a lot of articles and books about it and homesteading--- then I became intrigued and started it myself. Then, ironically, I started writing how-to articles for Backwoods Home Magazine and Self-Reliance Magazine too. I did that for a few years, and it helped fund a few extra projects and put gas in the truck. I want to start writing again, but I have to get my projects in line before I get back to that.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
So, I finished weeding, fertilizing, and mulching the lower winter squash. They are completely finished now. I got the watermelon re-planted too. Only three came up. This has been the year of replanting for some reason. I also harvested three nice cucumbers. Plenty more setting on and lots of blooms. Maybe Mom can whip up some churn pickles next week while I am gone.

In the morning, I should be able to get the tomatoes staked, weeded, and mulched. Mom is going to help me---so, we should be able to get it all done. Most of them don't look bad. Some of them look really nice despite all of the set backs.

I have laundry to bring in and fold. Today, it was super hot and they dried well. However, the washer didn't ring them up out well. They were sloppy going up on the line this morning.

I have another broody hen. It is one of my Buff Orpingtons, but not the one I tried to let set earlier in the season. I have her a nest set up and ready to go. I am going to move her tonight. I'm giving her 15 eggs and hoping for a little hatching success. I need some roosters to can up and some young hens to lay this winter.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
It has been a hot minute since my last update. My life has been jam-packed as I get adjusted to teaching, and the work involved with it. Then, maintaining a homestead and preaching during the week too. I have been very busy since July. I have gotten settled into my job and have finished four weeks with students, and I have enjoyed it so far. It's a lot of work, and hard to get it all done. However, I am reaping the benefits of being paid well every two weeks and I enjoy that.

My garden did okay. I still have winter squash, lima beans, green beans, and sweet potatoes to harvest. My tomatoes were bad, but everything else did fair. I'm already thinking about next year. Each pay period, I am laying back three bales of straw so that I have plenty to mulch with next spring. I am trying to be as strategic as possible about it. I have lined up a good source of manure to use on the ground this fall or spring. If I can get my soil amended (and I will), I can mulch as soon as the plants are fairly small since I won't have to fertilize. This will cut a lot of the work out This fall, I have got to work on my blackberries, blueberries, and strawberries to prepare them for next spring. I have a running to do list in my head.

We also snagged a used, upright freezer and have been able to use that in our garage. I can store baked goods, butter, and meat a lot easier now without a walk to Gran's house. That was a great deal. I have been busy canning what produce and meat I do have. I canned 14 pints of pork shoulder a week ago. I plan to do a batch of chicken on Monday.

xdVuq6e3QlKO5odCiXnM0w.jpg

Then, I have some roosters that are almost ready to butcher. I am mainly waiting for the weather to cool down. It is hot and steamy here still. I am ready for frost! I'll can them up also, and any old hens past their prime.

UGyMAQC0QRin4do4QSpe6A.jpg

The pantry is pretty full too. I am happy about that. I am ready for the cold days and dark nights.

My latest project is fixing our John Deere Gator. We have had it for years (since my parents divorced) and about seven years ago it got in bad shape. At the time, I had zero mechanical experience nor the means to fix it. Now, I have the means and a tad more experience. I'm working feverishly to get it back in shape. I need it to clear the garden, haul wood, and move manure since my time is sparse these days. So far, I have replaced the battery, and took the front half apart to drain the fuel tank. I have new filters, and a new thermostat that I have ordered. This will just get it back in a decent shape. I am sure I will find out another problem with it once I get the basics done. I'm excited about getting it back in shape though. I haven't invested too much money yet either. So, if this all the stuff I need--- it was done cheap.

In the mean time, I do all of my extensive cooking on the weekends. Today, I made two loaves of bread (the best looking white bread I have ever made) and a cheesecake. I plan on making rolls, honey wheat bread, and pimento cheese at some point before I go back to work on Tuesday. It really helps with saving money on lunch and breakfast.

So, life is going well. I am thankful to God for all of his tender mercies, and blessings. I know that everything I enjoy are gifts from my Father and I am so thankful. If you're a born again Christian, I do ask that you pray for me as I go through life. I have a few things that need a special touch from God.