BarredBuff's Homesteading Shenanigans

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sorry that you are sick. Thera-Flu is good for the crud, elderberry syrup (order dried berries from amazon and make the syrup) vitamin C and a hot toddy with bourbon in it to make you sleep.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have read that the pioneers relied on a mixture of elderberry, yarrow, and peppermint to take care of the crud. The peppermint is to help your tummy since the other two ingredients can be hard on digestion.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
HOMEMADE DECONGESTANT

This homemade decongestant is good for breaking up chest congestion so you can clear it out. Anyone old enough to eat honey can take it.

Ingredients
· 1 c. honey
· 1 c. lemon juice
· 5-7 radishes
· 1 sm. red onion
· 6 garlic cloves (use a couple more if cloves are very small)

Instructions

1. Wash, peel, and trim the vegetables as appropriate, and cut the onion into 2-4 chunks.
2. Dump everything into the blender and blend until smooth.
3. Strain.
4. Refrigerate between uses, for up to a week or so.

TO USE:

Adults take 2 Tbsp. once a day, or more as needed/desired.
Children take 1 Tbsp. once a day, or more as needed/desired.
Should begin expelling within 24 hours. (We have typically noticed it kicking in within the first couple hours.)

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I made this a few years ago (see post below)and it will cure what ails you! Also, we all know you're not a sit around kind of guy but if you're working full time and ministering on Sunday you still need your rest. Weekly. Ok. Enough preaching from me...

Fire cider:
A cousin working towards SS sent me this.... this sounds like it will light up your life! :lol:

It is from "The Urban Field Guide"

Fire Cider
Fire cider is a combination of pungent spices and roots that help to fight off respiratory infections, increase immunity and circulation and will undoubtedly keep you warm over the long winter months. It can be used as a tonic to stave off the nasty colds going around. And, it takes not even 10 minutes to make!

FIRE CIDER RECIPE *****
1/2 onion (chopped)

5 cloves garlic (chopped)

1 tsp cayenne pepper

1/2 cup grated ginger

1/2 cup grated horseradish

1 quart organic Apple cider vinegar to cover

Coarsely chop the onion and mince the garlic. Grate both the ginger and the horseradish and place in a quart jar. Add the cayenne and cover with apple cider vinegar. I used all organic ingredients because the ingredients are pretty cheap and I want my medicine to be the best it can be. Before capping the jar I put a square of wax paper on the jar top so the vinegar wouldnt corrode the lid.

Traditionally fire cider is buried in the early fall and then dug up anywhere from 3-8 weeks later.
You can let it brew from 3 weeks to 2 months depending on how strong you want it to be. I think 3/4 weeks is good though. I think fresh turmeric would be amazing in it, maybe some burdock too.
I have mine tucked away with my other medicines brewing and stewing in a dark cabinet.

After letting it brew for a period of time strain the herbs through cheesecloth and wring them tightly to get out any extra cider. Compost the herbs. Its best to keep your cider in a dark colored glass away from heat.

The cider will last for 6 months. Don't forget to label it! You can take anywhere from 1-2 Tbsp daily with some water or straight from a shot glass, you know if youre hardcore like that! It also makes a really good salad dressing. Enjoy and stay healthy!

****CAUTION: if you are on blood thinners, are about to have surgery or have gastrointestinal ailments like IBS or ulcers, fire cider is NOT for you! Dont do it!*****

Im already thinking of variations I want to try next time. I might add honey of course. Lemon zest would be good and also moving for the digestion. Burdock would be a nice liver cleansing herb to help with all of the fatty winter foods. Fresh jalepenos In fact maybe Ill make another jar tomorrow for some new year gifts!

http://www.herbalremediesinfo.com/firecider.html

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Hi folks! This week has got off to a great start on the homestead. I am so glad to be back doing things that I love. I forget how wonderful this really was. I've been busy getting ready to garden, and preparing for a flock of chickens next week.

z7HajCIiTQujB9mOxKjafg.jpg

Last night, we planted three 50 foot rows of potatoes in the garden. This is the earliest they've ever been planted. Three different varieties: Kennebec, Red Pontiac, and Yukon Gold. I didn't plant as many as I thought they would, but I do know for the future. Potatoes have always been a difficult crop for me, but I think with some more research and work this could be a good crop. I am remembering what I forgot and learning all new things.

ynSRurhDQ8ixDv0lxkrpog.jpg

Tonight, I tilled up the old chicken run for a patch of broccoli and cabbage.The soil is beautiful! I think they'll grow great. It is a wetter area, but the soil looks fantastic. I'm probably going to try and grow them in a square foot style with straw mulching. I've got Early Jersey Wakefield cabbage and Calabrese Sprouting broccoli coming along nicely in my greenhouse. They should be ready in two weeks or so.

A week from tomorrow I should have my new chicks! I ordered 85 babies. A co-worker and I went in together on them. An even mix of White Plymouth Rocks, Black Australorps, Dominiques, Rhode Island Reds, and Buff Orpingtons. Praying they ship okay and do well for us!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
BB, a few years ago I had a big flock and sold free range eggs locally. I had customers for each day of the week, except Sundays, so I know I had a buyer for my eggs as they came daily. I also had a waiting list and people dropping in now and then for eggs, so any extras were usually snapped up very quickly! Some of my best customers were local B&B owners, who needed the eggs for their guests. See if you can get into a place like that as supplier? They will take quite a few eggs and in busy season they may help you get rid of any surplus eggs you may have as well. If it's legal and allowed by you, start collecting egg cartons now already. That's an expense saved. To maximise your potential profit and cut down on expense, buy your feed in bulk, directly from the source, if possible. Big flocks of beaks need a LOT of feed!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just a few thoughts...
To help with expenses, I was able to get shredded paper from where my daughter worked to use on the coop floor. Also got bags of leaves from a friend in the fall. Both were okay. A couple bags of leaves started to compost in the bag as they weren't dry enough. But overall, I liked using the grass after we mowed the best. I'd let it lay out to dry, then just added small layers to the coop. Sometimes, a few handfuls of fresh mowed grass freshened up the coop as well.
The last time I had a bunch of chicks, I cut ragweed and lambsquarter, leaving it on the bush, and just put it in the run. It was fun watching them almost climb on the ragweed to get to some of the leaves.
If you have too many eggs, you can always scramble some and feed them back to the hens.
Remind your buyers that they can stock up on eggs for the holiday baking season by just putting them in a gallon freezer bag and popping them in the freezer.
After you get a little established, you can always make a little sign asking them to bring their own containers/egg cartons (because it's the eco-friendly thing to do, not that you're cheap, right?)
85 chicks. What fun!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When I was selling duck eggs, I had to pay for some Jumbo sized cartons, since they wouldn't fit in the easily found and recycled commercial cartons. I started offering to buy back the jumbo cartons from my customers- something like .25 per for clean cartons in good condition, which helped to cover the cost of having bought them.