Baymule's 2018 Garden

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes the yellow or orange melons are good and sweet. We bought one last year at the fruit stand in a neighboring town and tossed the rinds to the pigs. Then the seeds came up and made watermelons!

We have been picking purple hull peas. I picked Monday morning and put 8 bags of 2 cups each in the freezer. Then DH went to the feed store and sold 2 bushels to a man that works there. So yesterday and today I picked peas! We shelled out a bushel and this evening, another half bushel.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Picked the rest of the pea patch in the rain today while DH was inside shelling. It was mostly a drizzle, but a few times I had to run for the house to keep from getting drenched. I changed jeans twice and wore a thick hoodie to at least keep the top half of me dry. With what we shelled last night, we got 1 bushel and 2 1/2 pounds. We have the bushel sold, @Ridgerunner, i'll freeze the couple pounds we have extra.

The pea patch is picked clean, a few blooms are showing, the stems will bloom, make peas and we will be off and running again.

I took a shower and put on pajamas when I came in. I helped my husband finish shelling the peas. Now I have a leg of lamb in the oven and ………. PEAS simmering on the stove. I'll make a salad and for dessert, watermelon.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Sounds like a good day and great that you got some rain!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Whew! My husband and our friend Robert worked on a HEAVY Feed trough for Wilbur the huge hog that we’re picking up Saturday. I measured and cut boards for a shelf unit I’m gonna build. I picked cucumbers, there’s enough for a small batch of pickles.

Then Robert and I picked the corn. I set aside 12 ears for DD and her family. We shucked corn. Robert went home with 25 good full ears I selected because they put up corn on the cob, so I wanted it to be pretty. We gave him some tomatoes too. The tomatoes aren’t big, nor are they many, but we had enough to share.

At 3 PM I was tired but still had cucumbers to cut up and a wash pan of corn to scrub, blanch and cut off the cob. I was sure glad I put a big beef roast in the oven this morning!

I got 5 bags of cream corn. Robert gave me the seed, bragged on it being a white sweet corn. Ummm it ain’t sweet corn. Tastes more like a field or yellow dent corn. Not that’s fine with me. I’ll make bacon baked corn.

Fry bacon in iron skillet. Take bacon out, dump cream corn in bacon grease. If there is a lot of grease, drain some out. Don’t stir it in. Crumble bacon over the top and bake in oven at 350 until the edges are brown. Yummy!

The picture makes it look yellow, but it is white.

c06a3508-8a7a-4c6c-8815-95a5c1f48b01-jpeg.27980

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It looks good! So, when did the Wilbur thing come about?
I found this 450-500 pound boar on Craigslist, we went last Saturday and looked at him. $100 for a huge hog. We just can't pass that up! We pick him up Saturday. He has spent his life in this tiny pen composed of pallets, welded wire and tin scraps. Might as well wrap him in tissue paper. He has gotten too big for their sows, they have his son, so Wilbur needs to go. We were up front, telling them that we would take him to slaughter, they said they would slaughter him themselves, but the freezers are full. LOL

A neighbor party is planned for October 13, as of tonight, and Wilbur will be the star of the party. BBQ sandwiches! We'll feed him sour corn soaked in milk for about 6 weeks, then take him to slaughter. Wilbur is a Red Wattle like the 3 we raised last year. We will also have him processed into pork chops, chunks of meat for the BBQ pit, shoulder roast, bacon and pan sausage.

then we were offered a huge 3 year old sow today...…$75

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You do get the deals!! Hope Wilbur is friendly - cuz 5000 lbs is a lot of pig! And a sow too...geeze!