Baymule's 2018 Garden

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Seems like most people I know are having either no garden, or a meh garden this year. Next year will be a good year!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Agree...Mine started like gangbusters. Got lots of tomatoes and was thrilled to get them...first tomatoes I've gotten in several years. Bush green beans were just fair but we ate several big pots of 'em. Rattlesnake beans aren't producing like they have in years past. Lima beans were planted late so still don't know how they'll do. My zucchini and yellow squash have mosaic virus so I'm about to pull them up along with the spent green beans.

What's doing great?!? The Red Rippers! I've started picking a few and there's tons of 'em out there. Okra is looking pretty good - only about a foot tall though - planted it late too. Winter squash varieties are taking over the garden but I'm not seeing a bunch of squash on them. Hope they don't have the mosaic virus too...ugh. Maybe they just need more time. I think I'll try to plant more black-eyed peas and okra when I clean out some of the spent plants. Might even try more corn if I have any seeds left. Too early for fall veggies yet.

I need to add some more compost/spent manure to a couple of areas and hope for better the next time. Gardeners ARE eternal optimist's aren't we? :)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Gardeners ARE eternal optimist's aren't we? :)

Look at it this way, if we were not then gardening would have been given up years ago.:idunno Some years thing just are not set up to be productive...this is one of those years, in general.

I did pull a few weeds, threw them over the fence to one of my bucks, so ate them quickly. Must be something good growing! My tomato plants are taking off now from planting a couple weeks ago -- I mean you can really see them growing! Plan to wee and add some chicken poo tomorrow. Cuke seeds have grown to 3rd real leaf now! Will move next weekend. Rest is coming along ok. GOT TO WEED!!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
just have to ask.....do you really plan to wee on your garden? I read somewhere that plants like the moon, but I don't know if that included being mooned.....:lol::lol:

:ep:lol::lol::lol: Maybe I was thinking of trying several things at once! Water, animal deterant, personal relief, fertilize, plant by moon...….hey multi tasking.....you know I'm time stressed! :lol:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
:gig I love you guys….

I have a meh garden too, this year, but it's due to time constraints. The shed has been taking so much of my time and energy, I didn't spare much for the garden, prepping beds, etc, so I planted only a bit of everything. Bugs had a field day on the zucchini and then the cauliflower, so I'm not going to have much from those two, but the peas, carrots, swiss chard and potatoes are doing good :) I don't know what happened to the pepper seeds I put out, the tomatoes are slowly coming along, the corn is small, but looking good :fl I'll do better next year.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I actually discovered that i am enjoying having a garden for the first time ever. I think it's because I didn't overplant and make it stressful for myself. And the raised bed.... I am sold. But, next year will be better!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I overloaded myself with projects when I needed to be getting the garden ready. I had seedlings and nowhere to plant them. They died. I was up to my neck in alligators. Oh well. Add the late frosts and weird weather, they would have died anyway.

But we sure have the garden whupped into good shape now!

Latest posts