Baymule's Pigs 2017-2018

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nope on the heat. They're like big heaters, they sleep in the snow often! They like to have hay to sleep in though. Piglets get cold though, so best to not get them in the coldest time of year (although people do)

Hmm I would have to look up the minimums because we just give them as much space as possible. At the recommendation of a friend our gilt will have an 8'x8' stall for farrowing plus full time outside access. You don't need that much for meat hogs.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is our third time with pigs and we have bought them all from Craigslist. Kudos to you for planning on raising your own pigs!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am soaking the corn now. They've been corn fed all their lives and didn't take kindly to pellets. So I have 7 buckets working, they get 2 a day. I use a cup to take some water from a already soaking bucket to start the new bucket. I also put a little lime in the bucket, corn is soaked in lime water for tortillas, it is supposed to release more of the corn nutrients. I put a gallon of whey in the first batch of buckets and a beer. They also get scraps from the house.

I measured the sow today, using the formula from @NH Homesteader. I can't get that close and personal with the boar. Her heart girth is 54", her length is either 54" or 50", depending if her head is up of down eating.

Girth 54x54=2916x Length 54=157,464/400=393.66 pounds

Girth 54x54=2916x Length 50=145,800/400=364.5 pounds

The boar is a lot bigger than the sow, so we estimate his weight to be 400 to 425 pounds.

I made an appointment for the boar November 6 for slaughter.

We bought them October 1, the sow was in heat. I don't know if they bred or not. I'll know if she comes back in heat the week of the 22nd. That will be his last chance before he goes to freezer camp. We'll see....

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH uses his .410

He's found the best way, safest and most effective, is to feed the pig and stand behind it. Behind the ear there's a soft indent (they love it when you pet them there too). If you place the shot there at an angle, aiming for the opposite eye, they drop with no drama. The other way is to visualize an X from the ears to the opposite eye and aim in the middle of the X. He's not had as much luck with this, although I think it's the more common placement.

Doing one this weekend, I'll try to get pics.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I assume so? I don't get involved with that part. I'll ask him when he gets home. He used to use a .22 but they tend to rattle around in there which isn't ideal. And he has had to do second shots with a .22, which no one wants to do. He said a .380 would be good as far as handguns go, but he prefers using his rifle.

I go inside with DD because she doesn't like watching that part yet so no personal experience.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH uses his .410

He's found the best way, safest and most effective, is to feed the pig and stand behind it. Behind the ear there's a soft indent (they love it when you pet them there too). If you place the shot there at an angle, aiming for the opposite eye, they drop with no drama. The other way is to visualize an X from the ears to the opposite eye and aim in the middle of the X. He's not had as much luck with this, although I think it's the more common placement.

Doing one this weekend, I'll try to get pics.

Thank You!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nope not a slug. Buck shot, has 3 pellets (DH said they're each about the size of a .380) He said slugs would make more of a mess.