Baymule's Pigs 2017-2018

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got hanging weights. The sow is 245 pounds and the boar is 216!! Wowzers! The sow just took off growing and got bigger and bigger! She passed the boar up. So if hanging weight is 245, she must have been bumping 500 pounds live weight! SOOOOOOO glad I didn't keep her!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What do you need the trailer for, getting them to the butcher? We don't have a permanent pig pen, we have hog panels we can move regularly. Our pigs are used to being moved around. You can certainly train them to follow grain. Or electric fence train them and you can move them to where you can get a trailer.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hanging weight was 245 on the sow and 214 on the boar. One of the families buying a half hog backed out because they had to rush their daughter to the ER, she had surgery to remove her appendix. They had no insurance, the bill is $29,000. I understand, that's their child. She was gracious enough to "store" the meat in her freezer until we can do something with it. We have liver, chopped fat and a hog head split in two in a neighbor's freezer.

The other family over paid us. Their half was $488, he handed us $500 and refused change. We are brining their bacon and will smoke and slice it in a few days. He offered to pay us for that, but we refused.

Processing on both hogs came to $584.05
Purchase both hogs $75
Feed $164
Total cost $823.05
Less $500

Our cost $323.05

We had the hogs 36 days. We are pleased.

That's like the deal of the century and you didn't even get your hands bloody.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tonight we had porkchops from the sow. They were less marbled with fat than the boar. They were just on the verge of being a little chewy. The flavor was excellent. I would give the boar an A++ and the sow an A for meat quality, tenderness and taste. We are really happy that we bought these hogs. Along with the porkchops, we had a green leafy salad with pomegranate.

IMG_2212.JPG

IMG_2211.JPG

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's waaaaaay cool! Maybe you can get LS a started piglet. If he takes it when it's little he can just put it in the cab of the truck with him and close all the windows....maybe it won't jump out! ;)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
FEM you're killing me! Lol

I'm curious how the boar will turn out. I have never had the desire to try eating a boar, a lot of meat wasted if I'm one of the unfortunate ones to end up with one with taint. My phone will only load one picture, but the one I can see looks good!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like him! I wonder if there is any Hereford in him...and old spot? But, I looked up the pics of both and they both have big floppy ears....and he doesn't. But Yorks have uppity ears and his mama is sposed to be half York... who knows? Anyway, he is a pretty cool looking mutt!

The AGH boar we are eating has absolutely no taint. Good thing cuz I'd hate to have to cook all that pig for the dogs and chickens, lol!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got any acorns? This time of year you might find 'em. Some years ago I had access to a lot of wormy pecans...pigs loved them....pigs tasted awesome!!! That was some good pork right there!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Around here you better be standing there with a bucket when the acorn falls or the deer will have it gone by morning. LOL BUT I'm in the part of VA that raises a lot of P-nuts and there is a sheller/packer about a mile away. So I got a few bags of the sweepings and blown out shells. The pigs and goats loved me!!

I can buy rounds of P-nut vines but, only do that if we didn't have rain on them first. They do have more some dirt on the roots but most is knocked off as the picker grabs them after being upturned. If the farmer gets them baled and we've had good weather, it's some high protein forage. My cattle and donkeys fought over it.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well I decided I'm going to build a pig pen and i'm looking to buy two bacon seeds this spring. I'm going to put in a third garden which will start out as a pig pen. How do I find a few feeder piglets and how much should I expect to pay per piglet?

Latest posts