Beat the heat.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Coffee is ready. I took Sentry to the vet yesterday, he likes to ride in the truck. He got a rabies shot and worm medicine. Today I take Buford and Sheba. Neither one likes to “go”. It oughta be interesting. 2 big dogs that can drag me all over the place, just hope they go in the same direction!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm fine in most any heat if I don't go in the ac during the day, then I can't handle it after that. Lunch in the shade instead of inside and I'm good all day.
Which is how they did it years ago!! Hand fans, loose cotton clothing, wide brimmed hats. You acclimate....you sweat😁

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I still don't have AC.... except in the car.... couple of fans in the house... I also do not go inside into AC when I am working outside... cooler spot under a tree or near a fan.... cool water compress on the wrists and back of the neck... I could not go out into the barns and/or get on the tractor if I was inside in AC... DS has AC ( to some degree) in a couple of the cab tractors because mowing with the discbine it is a MUST to use a cab tractor just in case any of the blades fly off the discbine... and they do once in a while... better to hit the cab or back window than the person.... and he uses the cab tractor to round bale as the dust is really bad....I got nearly sick in the one cab tractor doing the tedding this morning... and that was with the ac and fan blowing directly down towards me, and the windows behind me open to get air... it was cool air, not cold...

I came by and the one gas station went up $.22 on a gallon of gas... from 3.17 to 3.39...:ep:duc:hit
the other 2 stations were still 3.17....

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ice water for me. Never have liked beer.

Make sure your getting your electrolytes. Magnesium, potassium, and SALT! Salt is good when youre soaking wet by 11 and drenched all day. No matter what the drs say. They are in air conditioned offices. Never had to sweat.

I big glass of ice water and some cut up tomatoes from the garden with lots of salt help. Or just a v8. Lots of salt in that stuff

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You wouldn't make it at my house. When its 104 its all i can do to get the house down to 77 or 76. But it feels pretty good coming in from 100 degree heat :D

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@baymule I've been thinking of you these last two days. Well, all of you, from NE to the midwest to Texas....

Anyhoo, given that the heat is atrocious and some of your dogs suffer and the sheep kinda do, what is your plan should the power go out. Similar to the '20 blackout, which was in the winter, but now you're in the summer.

Just worrying from a distance.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I get ya, lol. I work outside in the heat, by choice, a lot. I know how to pace myself and work smarter not harder, etc. I drink water, I eat fruit, I do it right. But, I have to agree with ya..there's nothing better than an ice cold beer at the end of that torture, lol! My choice is Corona...but whatever works - works! :)