Beat the heat.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We use Redmond salt. I have never been a heavy salt user, but I sure eat the heck out of the Redmond salt. It is not refined, and it has a flavor that supersedes other salts. I also mix up my own electrolyte solution, 4 spoons of sugar, 1 spoon salt in a glass of water. That will rehydrate you almost instantly. It is also good when you have diarrhea or vomiting, to rehydrate you, but sip on it, don't guzzle. LOL

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
75 ? That ain't hot!

Depends on where you are from. I wilt if it's above 72*!

I've always described the flavor of beer as being like Tiger P!$$. Soak a locker room sweatty sock in it, and that just about sums up how I feel about beer!

Even Paul admonished Timothy to drink a bit of wine for the sake of his stomach. I don't have issues with alcohol in minute portions.

However, coming from a family in which my brother was pickled starting at the age of 15, growing up with that, and seeing how it has totally destroyed his life, I have a strong respect for the power of alcohol to destroy. He's been dry for decades, but the damage to his personality was done long before he quit drinking. He's a rebellious teenage 65 year old.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was going to buy a 10' diameter, 30" deep cheapo pool ($90) just for soaking in since I don't have a tub in the house. But DH is over 6' tall, so I let him talk me into the bigger pool so he could enjoy it also ($250). The place we put it is pretty well hidden and private ...

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Its getting warm in Texas....specially for us working folk. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables, drink lots of water and after work have an ice cold Michelob Ultra in a frosted glass with a lime wedge. Its better than iced tea!

Be careful tho, they go down like a fat kid on a seesaw
The best thirst quencher for me is lemon and cucumber... with a teaspoon of honey... and a lot of ice cubes.. you guys need to try this... :D:D:D:D

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@baymule I've been thinking of you these last two days. Well, all of you, from NE to the midwest to Texas....

Anyhoo, given that the heat is atrocious and some of your dogs suffer and the sheep kinda do, what is your plan should the power go out. Similar to the '20 blackout, which was in the winter, but now you're in the summer.

Just worrying from a distance.

minimally a backup water supply would seem really important. for us i keep some jugs of water that i refresh from time to time so we always have drinking water.

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My Daddy said as a boy growing up, his mother would use the sprinkler bottle from the ironing, to sprinkle the bedsheets, then run a fan. The evaporation would have a cooling effect so they could go to sleep. I’ve done that, it works.
Another option with the same principal is to wet the curtains. Cheaper than a swamp cooler, much cheaper than ac. I say were almost all born with the ability to handle the weather and walk barefoot. It's the years of ac and wearing shoes that makes us soft. 40 years ago ac was rare here and nobody thought anything of it. Some countries hotter than the U.S. it's still rare because they can't afford it and couldn't afford the electricity if they could, yet they make it through better than us if we lose electricity. I was thinking about that lately when every time it gets over 100 they tell everyone to stay inside.