BeccaOH: Update of just STUFF

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I'm in the same boat. I need to send a bunch of drakes to the processor, plus I am inheriting ducks from Matt & CJ when they move. Some ducks I love for their personality, some for looks, but the ones I don't like the looks of lay THE BEST, HUGE white eggs :p

I don't sell a lot, but I do have a few people who consistently get eggs from me. They like the jumbo hugo monsters Lexi and Dawn lay. The only problem with Lexi, other than being a gold phase harlequin (I prefer silver), is she is a crappy mom. My best mom lays fuggly eggs. So what is a person to do?!?!
LOL and how do you box up jumbo duck eggs for sale? It is constant challenge for me to package them safely. :rolleyes:

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Had a great weekend with family in from Virginia, Iowa, and Maryland. Four out of my seven siblings were here. I had 3 couples staying at my house.

Saturday started with my nephew flying his remoted controlled planes up and down our valley and over the farm. He took it three miles out and videoed the trip. Then we did a big cookout reception at Tuscora Park for my neice who got married in March. We missed that wedding as my mom was sick with flu. And many of the Ohio family hadn't met the new husband. It was very hot out in the low to mid 90s, but still it was a good time.

Sunday all of us (around 20) went to church together and ate out at Texas Roadhouse. Then all but one couple came to my house where my nephew was flying his fancy remote controlled helicopter. We visited until late afternoon when my sister's family started heading back to MD and VA. Next came a bonfire as the rain had cleared up. We did hobo pizza pies and smores, then we took the party inside and sat around playing the card game of Rook until about 1 am. We (my brothers and cousins) hadn't done that kind of thing in a long time. We laughed like kids.

Funny thing happened Saturday as we were packing to go to the park. An egg customer stopped to get eggs and took something out of his trunk. Here he asked if I drank. I was like ummm no, not really, but my nephew-in-laws were bouncing beside me and nodding yes. :p The guy offered me a bottle of vodka that had been home flavored with apple pie spice. I don't know what that process is. It smelled rather good, but I'm not a hard liquour kind of person. My neice and nephew tasted it and liked it. I was going to let them have some when we got back, but then the same neice and her BIL got in a big fight, so that ruined any plans of sitting down to a relaxing evening. So I have a bottle of Apple Pie vodka in my basement. I wonder what homemade vanilla extract would taste like made from it. :hu :hide

Weather has turned. It is cloudy and rainy and only about 67. It doesn't appear that the temps will get out of the 60s all week. Off goes the A/C, hopefully for the rest of the year. :weee

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:weee :weee :weee :weee :weee :weee

I now have access to raw milk. I bought a herd share on a goat farm. :D The farm is about 20 minutes from me and on the way to the feed store and farmer's market I like to go to. The farmer lady has a lot in common with things I've been learning and trying to incorporate into my life.

Funny thing is when she was talking I thought she sure should meet emilosevich on SS and started to tell her so. LOL Turns out they are longtime friends. Small world!!! :gig Everywhere I turn I'm meeting SS people.

And now my SIL is getting into whole food health and reading many of the same food/health bloggers that I do. :thumbsup

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
how do you box up jumbo duck eggs for sale?
I am just going to order some duck egg cartons from Flemmings. Even jumbo chicken egg cartons aren't big enough.

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Awesome on the goat share! :weee We just got our goat and need to get her bred... so a few more months and I'll have raw milk too... woo hoo!!!

I would love to find more people around me that are SS so I would have a friend or two to barter with or ask opinions to... We live in the middle of farm country so you would think they would be easy to find... I think it's mostly just me... I need to learn to be more sociable instead of a hermit... hahaha

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Congrats on the raw milk...and she already knows another SS'er ! wow!

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Congrats on the goat share!! Glad my post/question got you looking at CL. :thumbsup

Now I need to suck it up and but into the herd share I found up here by me!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It sounds like your family party went well. I miss getting together with my siblings.

So if you don't mind me asking how much does a goat share cost and what's involved???

G

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
It sounds like your family party went well. I miss getting together with my siblings.

So if you don't mind me asking how much does a goat share cost and what's involved???

G
Yes, I was rather stressed about this family gathering. Thought my estranged nephew would come and bring his new and pregnant wife, but he didn't. :/

I paid $55 for one share of the herd. Then I will pay $17 a month, which is basically for the farmer's care-giving and such. From this I'm entitled to 1/2 gallon of milk each week, picked up at an appointed time. Some weeks the milk production may change, and there will be a few weeks in winter when little to no milk will be available. So just like the farmer, I have to go with the flow :D and I may need to freeze some ahead. I did sign a contract. I do have the option to sell my share at anytime as long as I give notice.

I saw pasteurized goat milk from Michigan in a grocery this weekend. It was $4 for 2 pints. I'm basically getting a half gallon fresh and raw for $4.25. :D When I do buy cow's milk in the store, I like to get a non-homogenized milk from an Ohio dairy that doesn't use hormones, though it is pasturized. It comes in glass jars at $3.99 for a half gallon plus $1.50 for jar deposit.