Bee~ Journal of then...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
The sad thing about our neighbor? Every time he takes cattle to market, he does it by himself...presumably he has no friends and his wife won't help. He's over there yelling and screaming at these poor beasts and hitting them with a pole...gets a few in the trailer...goes back for more and, before he can get any, the others come out of the trailer! This can go on for hours with the fellow screaming and shouting, cows mooing, etc.

We would love to offer to help, the boys could just go over there and offer, but he's been so standoffish and unnecessarily mean (put a lock on a gate into his field from our yard....when there are holes in the fence big enough to drive through...I'm sure the message is, don't go in my field) that we would be afraid he would cuss at them. We don't go on his property except to pick up our apples that have fallen on the other side of the fence. He rents that pasture for hay.

Sooooo...we sit and watch with some annoyance at this circus and think how much easier it would be just to be for him to be nice to us and we would give him the shirt off our backs.

Before you say we should just go over and help anyway, we had been warned that this man doesn't like people, especially not "outsiders" and would not welcome our intrusion. Sad, really, cause me and the boys could have those cattle loaded in about 15 minutes.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Some people are just like that, Bee. Guess there are people who are more of a hermit than you ;)

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I have a neighbor like that. Well, sorta. The husband is just as nice and friendly as can be. The wife is probably nice but very unfriendly.
If we drive by her house while she is outside she will actually turn her back to keep from looking at us. And its not just us. She is that way with everyone. I take a doz eggs every week to her house and give them to her husband. I have to wait until he is outside.
I think she has some type of social disorder. Or at least that is what I keep telling myself. Makes it easier for me to accept.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I find it odd when people are unfriendly also. Especially when I make a friendly advance, like waving or smiling first.

This fellow has been married three times, so he can't be all that unsocial! ;) From what I understand, he inherited this farm through his first marriage, lost the big old farm house (lovely) in the second marriage and is now married a third time. He has also had a couple of heart attacks, so this grumpiness and insisting on screaming and running after cows just could not be good for him! :p

I didn't glean that info....it was thrust upon me by the nosey other neighbors! Me? I would just like my neighbors to be civil, if they cannot be friendly. I smile, wave and keep my nose to myself....I like the concept. I will also help anyone at the drop of a hat and have done so.

Boys are home and I'm off to bed! I'm going to start going to bed earlier and getting up earlier like I used to.....I seem to have more energy this way! :)

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
2dream said:
I have a neighbor like that. Well, sorta. The husband is just as nice and friendly as can be. The wife is probably nice but very unfriendly.
If we drive by her house while she is outside she will actually turn her back to keep from looking at us. And its not just us. She is that way with everyone. I take a doz eggs every week to her house and give them to her husband. I have to wait until he is outside.
I think she has some type of social disorder. Or at least that is what I keep telling myself. Makes it easier for me to accept.
Wow, just a gut feeling here, but you ever think maybe HE is in total control and she is not allowed to be friendly...you never know what happens behind closed doors...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Entirely possible....everyone thinks my dad is this sweet little old man but Mom was never able to look at a man, had to keep her eyes down, or be accused of flirting with someone. She can't even be in the same room alone with one of her SILs, if the house is full of company. My boys couldn't bring a friend to grandma's house, as teens, for fear that dad would get jealous of them.

All kinds of sad stories out there!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
yeah, well, this site is addictive....just have to keep checking to see if someone else has posted and just what they said! :lol:

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I really don't think its him from what little bit I know. Their daughter is really sweet and gets out and about now that she is older. When she was younger the momma would not let her leave the yard. The dad would bring her up to visit and momma would stand at the driveway and watch until they left and headed home. I don't know. You all are right about "never knowing" but I don't think it's him.

I am so sleepy this morning. The 22 year old stepson had a party last night and kept me awake til all hours. They really were not that loud but I am a light sleeper for the most part anyway and our bedroom is on the end of the house where the party and bonfire was. I think a nap will be in order around noonish.

Latest posts