Beekeeping...for those interested!

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
They will get much less 'welcoming' when they're guarding a full load of honey. I really don't think they recognize us, some hives are more aggressive than others, some bees more aggressive or gently. You can basically pat the bees in the apiary up in Maine, they're New World Carniolans, and just a dream to work with. The Italians down here are more dicey, one hive at my mother's will chase you down the driveway, the other is fine. All six in the backyard here seem pretty docile, but I don't trust them. Be slow and methodical in your movements and for the most part you'll be fine - but do keep a smoker handy, and do wear a veil if you're the one tearing into the hive. Greg works ours usually, I don't suit up, and I've never had a problem, but he surely would, if he wasn't protected.

Ohioann

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The bee inspector was at our place yesterday and said the hives look good except that one may be thinking about swarming. I have a super on it with plenty of blank comb so hope they will think again! Am going to get another hive set up just in case they swarm and we are home and we notice and we can get to it. A lot of 'and's I know, but after losing both my hives last winter I sure want to keep as many bees as I can this year. :fl
These hives are calmer than last year. Then I had one that would get right in your face anytime you went near it. Both of the hives this year are fairly calm ... so far!

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
we had a surprise honey harvest today! in the process of adding more supers, i noticed that one of the honey supers had 10 frames (we usually do 9), so i just went ahead and pulled it. we've always had our honey extracted by a local guy with the whole big set up, but obviously we weren't going to do that for one little frame.

so, i scraped it and am in the process of straining it- it's my very first attempt at doing it myself. it's messy! but the honey is GORGEOUS and delicious! here's a couple of pics to wet your appetites.

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
bibliophile birds, how wonderful ! Thanks for the pics. They are very encouraging.

I am so very lucky. I have ended up with the sweetest little bees. We've never used gloves and can handle them directly both in their hive and out on the plants. We do wear veils because the bee sting in the ear or nose sounds like it could be very very bad and I refuse to tempt fate.

We are trying a little experiment. We gave them a few frames with foundation and a few without. I was told as a new beekeeper we stand a better chance of doing foundation-less and sticking with it than someone who has been at it and using foundations for years. We gave them to them on Sunday, so we are planning on checking in on them tomorrow to see how the work is coming along. I am hoping to report the bees preferred the foundation-less frames , but we will see :)

I do have a question for the beeks here.. I am concerned about mites. No, I have not seen any , I just really dig worrying :lol: I know there are 'treatments' and then there is the powdered sugar option. Are their other options? What do you do or plan to do if you need to ?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I really like Mike Bush's approach and I'm going to try it. Do nothing and let the strongest survive, let them build natural cells and just let nature take its course.

I know that sounds like asking for trouble but I am working towards self-sustaining here and that means in regards to the animals also. I will just keep working along until I get the hardiest bees possible.

I really like Mike's approach and the proof of his hive health certificates.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beescerts.htm

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed, I LOVE his site! I have learned more from Mike Bush's site than I have all the books, forums and youtube videos combined. I had considered that as well actually. We are only starting with one hive though and I am terribly afraid of losing them while they are still just barely out of being a nuc. At last check they are working their little bee bottoms off adding comb and gathering, but I am not seeing much for an increase in numbers yet. I just worry there are not enough to defend themselves at this point.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Ditto :)

What fun, bibliophile! I had a bellyache or 2 last year also :) Plus a beesting to the tongue when I snuck some under my veil in the middle of an inspection!

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Rebecka said:
I am concerned about mites. No, I have not seen any , I just really dig worrying :lol: I know there are 'treatments' and then there is the powdered sugar option. Are their other options? What do you do or plan to do if you need to ?
if it seems really bad, i might sugar, but i tend to leave the bees alone. we don't treat chemically, but even those treatments aren't as effective as they once were.

you also want to watch your drone brood since that's where Varroas like to breed. you can afford to loose a decent amount of drone brood because they raise an excess, so, since you have top bars, you can just cut off drone brood sections which will kill off the mites too (try putting it in the freezer).

just found this great pic of how one lady deals with hive beetles!
IMG_9374.jpg

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Man I HATE IT when I find an ad like this...Bees

Complete Beehives with Bees - $200 (Archie/Harrisonville)
Date: 2010-06-10, 8:43AM CDT
Reply to: sale-npsy6-1784642272@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

I have several Honeybee hives available for sale. Hive includes bottom board, one 10-frame brood box full of bees with new Russian spring queen, inner cover, and telescoping cover. All newer equipment except inner cover. First come first serve. I will not hold them so act fast! I will deliver for $25 if reasonably close. Just a few left so hurry and get your bees so you can enjoy the fruits of your labor! For quicker response call 816-456-0256.

SOOO tempting, but I am just not ready yet. :hit

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I really like Mike Bush's approach and I'm going to try it. Do nothing and let the strongest survive, let them build natural cells and just let nature take its course.

I know that sounds like asking for trouble but I am working towards self-sustaining here and that means in regards to the animals also. I will just keep working along until I get the hardiest bees possible.

I really like Mike's approach and the proof of his hive health certificates.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beescerts.htm
One day this is what I will be doing, however, I was loaned a hive and the beek that installed it wants to manage it. What can I do? Its his equipment. I doubt there will be any problems with them, as this is a wild swarm that moved into the box he setup for me.

The original hive escaped when the beek neighbor moved into a nursing home something like 18 years ago. They've been building & multiplying in the back of a nearby abandoned house ever since. The owners decided to rebuild & discovered the hive. They poisoned it!!! :he

He wants to do a cutout on the hive, since they are building free-form in the foundationless frames he put in. Are there any suggestions on whether this will hinder the bees?

Here's a pic of it, I finally got brave enough to take a decent pic :D
0609101847-00.jpg