Beekeeping...for those interested!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Wow...that's a small hive! Sort of nuc sized....probably be a good idea to plan on expanding if they have been in that one for awhile.

I don't know enough about it all yet to answer any questions on this one but I'm anxious to hear what the experienced beeks have to say.... :pop

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
They are almost done filling the available frames, so he's going to add a super on top of that soon.
Is it really small? He built all the boxes he has to match the one he ordered :idunno

I don't know much about it at all myself. I'm learning a bit, but still pretty clueless as to upkeep.

It doesn't seem to be terribly full of bees, but there is a queen, he pointed her out to me the other day, so I'm thinking all I got was a small swarm of survivors from the spraying.

:pop

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
It doesn't seem to be terribly full of bees, but there is a queen, he pointed her out to me the other day, so I'm thinking all I got was a small swarm of survivors from the spraying.
that's probably the case. don't worry too much, as they can build up their numbers pretty quickly. i'd just pay close attention to how much honey they are making- you made need to supplement them with sugar water in case they don't have a sufficient # of bees bringing home the goodies.

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay.. help! I could post on the "bee forum" but I am more than a bit intimidated by those folks. So, we got a nuc, 4 deep frames of brood and honey. We gave them 6 frames of wired frames with No foundation. The thought was that we wanted to give them the space to be bees. They are doing just that. I dont know if I should be worried, but they are not building at all in the medium super we gave that has foundation. We are Not using a queen excluder and I am about half afraid to pull the supers apart since just pulling the frame of the medium we gave them broke capped honey. Any and all thoughts are welcome!

Rachel'sFlock

Magical Homesteader
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the original link! I have a friend who wants to set me up with bees, and I just don't know a single thing about beekeeping!
I now have a place to begin studying and hopefully:fl, will learn enough to let her bless me with this amazing gift!

Bright Blessings

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Rebecka said:
Okay.. help! I could post on the "bee forum" but I am more than a bit intimidated by those folks. So, we got a nuc, 4 deep frames of brood and honey. We gave them 6 frames of wired frames with No foundation. The thought was that we wanted to give them the space to be bees. They are doing just that. I dont know if I should be worried, but they are not building at all in the medium super we gave that has foundation. We are Not using a queen excluder and I am about half afraid to pull the supers apart since just pulling the frame of the medium we gave them broke capped honey. Any and all thoughts are welcome!
Rebecka, don't be intimidated by anyone in those beekeeping forums, they truly are a wonderful, friendly bunch who just want to help you succeed in beekeeping - but the beeks here can help you, too :)

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow! So that was absolutely exhilarating !!! We had made a horrible new beek error when we installed the nuc. For fear of not wanting to mush anyone, we only put 8 frames in the hive, so needless to say .. they did what bees do and used the extra space. We talked to several of our local beeks at the club meeting and they all said "well, thats gotta be fixed" So tonight, we did! We started by pulling the top and checking in the honey super we added a few weeks ago. Hey, guess what? Theres honey :lol: . That went well, so we pulled that super and checked the med box in the middle. Hey , guess what? There was more honey and a Whole Lotta Bees! We checked frames and found a mix of honey, eggs, larva , and I believe pollen. However, we still hadn't found the queen. So, into the bottom deep super. My sweet husband calls for smoke and of course, now that we had them all fussy, the smoker went out. We fished out the comb the drew on the bottom of the previous box ( of course it broke off) and now they were good and mad! It was loaded with honey. My sweet husband was stung several times, I was stung twice and my sweet FIL not at all. He was the only one with the good sense to completely cover. But, we got one more frame in and we *think* we found the queen, though I was expecting they would be attending to her more than just her walking around, you know? There are a whole bunch of bees on the outside of the box now. Well, after dark and they are just kind of clinging to the sides. I hope they go back in !