Bee's Guest House

mlynd

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:hugs thats all I can give its so sad no words can express the pain u feel my prayers are with the momma and ur whole familiy

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I knew my bees had a bad start this year as no sooner than they were ensconced in the hive than this area lost rainfall. We've been in severe drought conditions all summer and the bees just didn't have enough nor a variety of foods.

They have swarmed and seem to be cleaning all the honey comb of its store of honey and taking it with them. A lady over the mountain from me said they had a swarm up there in a neighbor's yard the other day. I would say my bees found a better food source or a better home, I don't know which.

I have half a hive of empty comb...it used to have honey in it.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
So sorry about you nephew. (((( HUG )))) I'm glad they have somebody caring like you to be there for them.

I wish you were having better luck with your weather. The garden and bees would have been a big help. Maybe you could try some wildflower seed mix for dry areas and attract/catch a swarm for next year. You learned plenty this season too.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dang, I am so sorry to hear your Bees flew the coop! This weather has been horrible!! I can't believe how wet we all started out, and now to be in a drought! Is there some way you can go get your bees??

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Its been quite a year here.....lots of hard things to swallow.

But....time to change gears and start a new course. I'm selling my lovely sheep to a sweet and kind lady at church who also has hair sheep. She decided to get hers when she first saw mine. They will have a nice home in a green valley.

I am also selling my chickens. I think she is going to take most of the younger flock and I think she may want a lot of the fencing I have here as well. The rest of the chickens will also be sold easily, I have no doubt.

My dear old Lucy-dog won't make it through this winter due to old age, arthritis, and sore teeth and gums. I will probably have to put her down before the pain is too bad with the cold weather. Until then, I'm going to start spending more time with her, take her to work with me and just generally pamper her more. She's been a joy to know and I thank the Lord for bringing her to me.

Going to clean out, clean up, minimize, downsize, eliminate and generally just simplify life.

The reason? I feel the need to concentrate on writing this book....every time I think about sitting down to it some crisis arises or some chore needs done. I feel if I don't get this thing down on paper this winter, I never will.

I'm going to develop a web page and blog site for discussion on many of the topics covered in the book and would love to have you all provide input and questions I can include there. I'll be posting pics of our life on the old homestead if anyone is interested.

Will provide a link as soon as I get it up and running.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
:th

Selling out!! I simply can't believe it!

I do understand the need to size down and simplify however. I am VERY VERY seriously contemplating NOT having my big "allotment" garden again. :hit

It is just too many steps from the door and since it is not on my own land I am VERY limited by what I can do to make it more accommodating for my health needs. The hardest part will be to give up my berries. I am hoping to move at least a couple of plants before giving it up... if I can find a corner of this tiny yard to plant them in.

I will be waiting for a copy of that book. Maybe it will make things happier for both of us.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm not having a garden next year. Am selling the fence around it and reseeding it to grass and clover.

I know, Farm. Its just about breaking my heart to think of looking out that window and not seeing the grass speckled with chickens and watching the peaceful grazing of my beautiful sheeples.

I just need to write this book. If its published I want to travel a little and glean material for another book....the second book will showcase you girls. Yep! Hillbilly Women~The New Generation.

Dust off your skills, girls, cause I may be coming your way to interview you and take pics of your setup, your families, your knowledge base.

Just pray the first book finds an audience! :)

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I'm not having a garden next year. Am selling the fence around it and reseeding it to grass and clover.

I know, Farm. Its just about breaking my heart to think of looking out that window and not seeing the grass speckled with chickens and watching the peaceful grazing of my beautiful sheeples.

I just need to write this book. If its published I want to travel a little and glean material for another book....the second book will showcase you girls. Yep! Hillbilly Women~The New Generation.

Dust off your skills, girls, cause I may be coming your way to interview you and take pics of your setup, your families, your knowledge base.

Just pray the first book finds an audience! :)
Wow, I do understand haveing to make time for the book, but Honestly..I dont think I could do it. Pray for an audience!?? Seriously!?? I KNOW it will be on the top ten best sellers list in NO TIME! I can't waite to get MY copy...thats for sure! :cool: