Best All Around Dog for TEOFTWAWKI

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I also have Labs and will always have one if it is within my power to do so. Another awesome dog for all of the things you listed is an Australian Cattle Dog. They excel at obedience, are faithful and protective family dogs (had one growing up that didn't allow wrestling in the house), they work livestock (though not as independently as LGD) and they can pull like an ox ( http://psychtkennel.com//photo.asp?id=55 ). Wander around Ingrid's site there and you will see just some of the amazing things ACDs are capable of.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
savingdogs said:
my personal favorite dogs, rhodesian ridgeback, the only dog considered to be a sight and scent hound and resistent to parasites and an excellent guard dog.
I've always wanted a Ridgeback. They were bred to hunt lions and any dog that fearless is OK with me. There were two that lived near where I used to run every day and they were fiercely protective of their "territory". At home they are good family dogs and again very protective of the family.

Ridgebacks have my vote.
This is what we exclusively rescue now. I just heard a story today from a family looking to adopt my dobie/ridgeback mix foster dog, Murphy. They had dobies in the past, but also knew a ridgeback that belonged to their father. Apparently the father was killed in a car accident while the dog was with him, dog survived the accident. Would not let paramedics remove the owner until family members arrived, defended the owner even in death.

hwillm1977, I have fostered more lab/pit mixes than any other mix and I LOVE them. The nicest dogs I have known have been that cross. There are many great dogs in the "retriever" group.

But for pulling, those mastiff type dogs like rotties and the swiss breeds might be more what the OP is looking for. But you should see those pit bulls in weight pulling competitions! They rock!

chickensducks&agoose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have to throw my vote in for a border collie/ Lab Mix. We have one, and though she disdains 'Fetch', she is protective of the kids, but kind, and patient, if my kid crawls ON the dog, pup will just look really sad, and sort of beg me with her eyes to make it stop. She's athletic, but loves to snuggle. Sleeps with my kid at the foot of his bed, is safe around my birds, really wants to sniff the cat's butt, but is too scared of all those claws! She's the best dog ever. If i ever have to get another dog, I'm getting the same kind.

We call her our Blabber Collie

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i think whatcha want is a dog that you can trust and that you can work with. SD is right all breeds have their strong points and some are better worker than others...and there's a huge range within the breeds.

another thing to remember is that not everyone can handle a "hard" breed or has the temperament to train and control a larger dog. some folks are good with a 'jack of all trades' dog that is trainable, barks when its needed, and can help you out in a fight.

me - i have two huge german shepherds and they are my hard workin' farm dogs. i couldnt do half the work i need to around here without them. they herd, guard, and even get me up out of the mud. if i could i'd clone my Titan and have a dozen of him. Dog#2 is a bit of a goof but he's a good worker.

and there is our bear killer - an Akita pup. she's our hunter - the sheps are not.

personally i think three is a good number of dogs. first - they can live in a pack - which is good for them. and if you can get them working together as a team its good for you ("dogs! go and get those turkeys and bring them in!")

also, very few people and or animals will stand their ground with two or more dogs (working together) come running at them.

just some thoughts.

good luck!
:)

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
That is why we have three in our pack. Right now, Ginger Snap, the leader and the point guard dog of the bunch, is recuperating from ACL surgery. The other two have moved to replace her guard dog duties. Snap still alerts, but Shirley Ann is the one that meets strangers at the door for now. I am very confident that Ginger will move back to her rightful spot as soon as she is healed up and back to 100%.
Gracie Sue, AKA The Swamp Collie(Golden Retriever) is the killer of the bunch. SHE is the one we have to watch around the chickens or ANY small animal for that matter, and she takes her job very seriously.:lol:

The Crew. Ginger Snap is the Lab on the floor.

379633055.jpg

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
since we are showing off...... Ti lettin' little kai know who is boss....

1173_growl.jpg

also answers the question "are you nervous being at home alone?"

nope. not with my D-O-G-G's in da house....

hiker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
All great points. I have owned many dogs over the years, mostly hounds, dalmations, chows (mixed) and german shepherds (mixed). I think that I am a decent dog owner (compared to the average Joe, probably better). We do our own obedience training and LOTS of socialization with our babies.

I currently have what I consider an ideal WTSHTF dog, an akita/st. bernard mix. He has a hellhound bark and is very strong. He also the best with my kids. Doesn't run off like the hounds do.

We haven't tried the cart, but he has his own backpack and can carry about 25 lbs (he wieghs about 120 lbs).

However, he is getting older and I would like to have another. I have consider the Rhodie. I really like the breed, but have never owned one. I wasn't sure how good they would do with drafting.

Here is my sweetie Ben, who was death row rescue.
3402_100_3243.jpg

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'd have to agree that you'd need more than one dog and even of different breeds for different needs. Bigger dogs can definately be a great assett for personal protection, hauling bigger loads, herding larger livestock, etc. We are considering getting 1 or 2 bigger dogs to add to our family as well. But I do have to speak up for the smaller breeds too.
We have a Jack Russell we wouldn't trade for love or money. This little guy is like a pint sized pitbull and pulls his weight around here but on a smaller scale, such as......

1. he's a natural for hunting & catching rats (last year he caught 9 of them)
2. herds the chickens into the coop or out of the newly planted garden without hurting them.
3. ALERTS us that someone (or something) is around. He has a full sized bark & growl in a compact body, atleast until we open the door.
4. hauls socks or other small items to all parts of the house
5. will follow us anywhere, anytime (even to the bathroom for goodness sake). DH calls him a 'velcro dog'
6. and is great family entertainment like 'chicken bowling' where if he sees the chickens congregating in the yard too close together, he'll make a mad dash straight for them until they all squawk and flutter/fly in different directions :lol:

Okay so the list is more of a joke but he is small enough to fit into places bigger dogs can't & is a great rat hunter/killer, can be faster than lightening, very tenacious and really smart. He also doesn't like any wrestling, hugging or close personal contact between people (barks, growls, sideways look, baring of teeth, raised hackles, etc) We usually just laugh & try to include him too. But I'm not too sure what he may do if a stranger ever tried anything and I'd be willing to bet he'd suprise us all.
Scooby isn't just a dog, he's a member of the family. :D

1275_scooby_playing.jpg

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Greater Swiss Mountain Dog, That's a great looking dog.

Os so I have a biased opinion but I would get a couple more Rottweilers. Strong enough to tow, herding instinct, smart and loyal. Scary as hell if you don't know them. :p

http://www.akc.org/breeds/rottweiler/

The hip dysplasia comes form bad breeding and overfeeding. You can avoid it.

g
Ditto, cuz I have a rottie and absolutely love him!!!!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I don't think a ridgeback would make a good draft animal. I could try it out for you though! I have never heard of them used for that task or even for weight pulling, they usually compete in things like lure coursing and are more similar to a greyhound in body type. Mine have carried body packs though.

If anyone is interested in getting a rhodesian ridgeback, the rescue I volunteer with is a national group and even into Canada. There is an approval process to see if you are a match, but they are not necessarily adopted to people from their state. The ones I have right now are going to Oregon, California and two to Montana, and I'm in WA state.

If you wanted a dog for TSHTF, you might want an intact animal however. You will rarely ever get an intact animal from a rescue. :lol: It is against our religion to promote dog breeding you know. :hide