Best All Around Dog for TEOFTWAWKI

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Best All Around Dog for TEOFTWAWKI

Actually it appears that the F and the T are reversed in the acronym above. It might read "TEOTFWAWKI" which in the vernacular of this current age might include the worlds most versatile word (commonly referred to as "the 'F' bomb) In historical perspective this word was the acronym used by the desk sergeant of the British police when a "working girl" was arrested and brought to the station house. She was charged with the following violation: "For Use of Carnal Knowledge" after which the acronym was frequently used.

It has now become a verb, a noun, an adjective, a directive and probably every other part of speech known to the English language. It is generally considered vulgar and therefore not welcome in gentile company despite the ubiquitous nature of its use.

Now you've had your "history lesson for the day" and I hope you enjoyed it!

Since we have already experienced TEOTWAWKI many times over, not just after 9/11 it is becomming a bit over-used. There certainly does appear to be some form of serious change coming, and while it may be a catastrophic one, this particular term seems to have lost its value. We, the SS types, appear not to have noticed it because we "make do" without the interference of the outside world. One post I read recently stated that (paraphrased) "some folks idea of roughing it is using cheaper make-up" which perspective I simply had to enjoy for its complete and unfailing approach to seeing what degradation our world has reached.

One of the other posters however did write a quote from someone who said that (paraphrased) The level to which a country has deteriorated is proportional to the number of luxuries that have become "necessities". Now THAT is profound.

Fortunately, I don't think even 2012 is going to be all that impressive. The Mayans may just have become bored with carving their calendar in those stone circles and just stopped there.

Now if Jor El sends his son to some other planet inhabited by less capable humanoid beings, then we might have another issue to consider but it will take a rather large event and a LOT of HE.

As my demolition instructor in SF opened his first lesson with the following admonition, I submit it to you as well for your consideration. He was a British SAS guy who like all brits commonly start every sentence with the words "Right, well then..." So here goes,

"Right, well then lads always remember ""There is no human problem that can NOT be solved by an adequate quantity of HIGH EXPLOSIVE.""

The rest of the lecture and training was equally entertaining and we enjoyed it immensely. Learning how to "Blow Stuff up" was delightful and we all put our "best foot forward" but of course not forward enough to lose it...LOL

Ooops, I guess I got off topic...weren''t we talking about dogs here?

//BT//
Trim sends

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Besides the ones you would expect (germ shep,doberman, pit type dogs and guard breeds, they include the cocker spaniel, the greatdane, the akita, the husky and my own near-and-dear-to-my-heart, the rhodesian ridgeback)
Every cocker spaniel I ever met has been totally mental so I kinda get that one! :gig

I'm no dog expert, but isn't a chow one of those little yippie-yappie foofoo doggies...?
No, they are big, strong, powerful dogs. In fact it is the only dog breed I have seen in person with people biting issues. 3 separate dogs. 2 pure bred, one lab/chow mix. I would never own one.
WZ is RIGHT. This is one of the breeds I've never fostered, never found one I wanted to. I've known a couple of nice representatives of this breed, so PLEASE if you are a chow lover don't come after me, but this is a breed for the experienced and they have poor periphereal vision so tend to nip things that approach them from the side. It is easier to find a home for a pit bull than for a chow. They do not have many fans. I have seen a child bit in the face by one for rushing up next to its side. At vet clinics, the muzzles come out when this breed walks in. There are a few breeds that you don't trust until proven otherwise in my book....Chow, Cane Corso, and I'm sorry, Rotteweiler, are the three breeds from which I've known the most "bad" dogs. But the rotties I have known were from highly overbred show lines bred for shutzund, so might not be the typical rotties that many people out there would own.

Icu4dzs, you had a very thoughtful post there but I didn't have thoughts to add to that line of discussion, but I can't talk about dogs all day! I've known a couple. :lol:

Cocker spaniels can be big biters, same as poms, chihuahuas, doxies, min pins and heelers, if you want to talk about dogs that will bite when you try to do something like trim their toenails. Those same dogs are usually awesome to their owners however.

I have known a wonderfully sweet nice chow, a nice chow mix, and many good rotteweilers, one sweetie Cane Corso. So I don't hate those breeds, please don't tell me how you know a great representative, I believe you. But there should not be "lists" of bad dogs. There are bad dogs in EVERY breed, usually created by a bad owner or an untrained owner. And just like other animals have certain ones showing undesireable traits, there are dogs that need to be "culled". Ones that bite people, bite children, kill other animals, etc. Since we have too many dogs, those ones should go first, unless they have a responsible person keeping them under control. But it should not be a breed judgement, it should be a behavior evaluation not a stereotyping. Perhaps the word "cull" sounds a little harsh, but at the very least the undesirable individuals should be spayed and neutered. And in shelters across the US, dogs are euthanized for being a certain breed and not for how their temperament evaluates. In our area, we worked to have that changed, and we accomplished it. It is a matter of appealing to the board of directors of shelters sometimes. And opposing breed specific legislation.

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When I worked for the vet there were 2 dogs I expected to bite - Chow and Cocker Spaniels. We had a huge blind black Chow named Shadow that was a darling, came in for a bath about 1x a month or so with his evil wicked nasty "sister" a red chow named Tasha. Will never forget them!

Or during the "all pit bulls are evil" era a lady brought in her pit to be euthanized in case it might maybe one day turn on her kids - the whole time we were working her tail was slapping the table.

I hope to get at least one more Australian Cattle Dog in coming months... they are extremely smart and versatile.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm surprised the Cocker is on that list! That's my favorite type of dog. I've had 2, and never had a problem w/either of them.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Of the 3 chow cases I listed, 2 were owner bites. The mix bit a neighbor kid who was just riding his bike past the house. And I knew all these dogs from puppies. They were raised right. Great owners. Just one day, they snapped.

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
So much for my dog knowledge.I don't know why i thought a chow was a little foofoo type dog...lol Well, i sure got an education on the types of dogs that would do the job.Insurance co. ? I'll go with the "don't ask, don't tell"...

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
The scariest dog that came to the vet clinic where I worked was a Bassett Hound of all things. We were terrified of that beast. All but one other Bassett I knew were absolute sweet hearts. But pretty useless for the purposes being discussed here.....

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
personally my "big dog" of the future will either be a cane corso...or more ideally a south african boerboel...

the boerboel might be a good choice but they are not good "first time" mastifs they are strong willed and can be too much dog for most owners even very experienced ones.

honestly though i think given what your looking for, id look into a well bred rotty...
on BYC look up redyre her rotties are amazing they even pull sulki carts (like ponies) not to mention she has beautiful rotties!
they are origioanlly a farm breed, great family dogs, strong as all get out, great at packing and pulling, good guard dogs, incredibly protective of their family, property and flocks, can be good herding dogs, great alarms and a wonderfull visual deterant.

watch lines for hip dysplasia (OFA stock only) and lines prone to bloat...
get a good one though and youd never regret a rottie.

sheperds are another good breed as an "all around" farm dog, great family protectors, visual deterents, bred to herd and can pack (not as strong as the rotties...but still can carry their own stuff)

pitties, staffies, amstafs and mixes thereof are great dogs, strong, incredibly loyal, but they dont typically make good "guard dogs" (they are SUPPOSED to love people...all people...most will protect their KIDS, but overall most of the bully breeds would rather lick an intruder to death than maul one...

a doberman might also work, strong, fearless, loyal, smart, and another ood visual deterant... watch for genetic issues in the lines though there prone to bloat dysplasia, wobblers and more...

generally any medium-large breed BLACK or BLACK and tan dog works well as a visual deterant in terms of a "protection dog" so black labs, mixes, english sheperds, swissies, nefies ect...