Best All Around Dog for TEOFTWAWKI

Living the Simple Life

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I would absolutely support a Rottie. The best dog I ever had was a Rott-Collie mix. I rescued her out of absolutely deplorable conditions at 4 weeks old and she was my best buddie for almost 14 years. Spoiled to the hilt, but earned her keep!

Since we are showing pictures, here are a couple of our resident canine. The first one is the day we rescued him at about 9 months. The second was at about two years old, not quite full grown.

3032_chaim1.jpg

3032_chaim.jpg

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
I've been wanting to get a dog again.I use to have a pitbull,mix she was a sweetheart, got hit by a car and died.I'd like to get a dog that would chase deer out of my crops and for home security as well..The problem is, since i'm now in the process of shopping for a new homewners ins. policy, they all ask. Do you own a dog, and what kind is it.? They have a list of " dangerous" dogs that would prevent some folks from being able to buy homeowners ins. How do you all deal with that.? I want homeowners ins. and a dog that can protect...!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I just went through this last year. I was honest and was not even thinking when I told the lady I had a Rottie and a trampoline. Double strike on me. My insurance tripled. :barnie With a clause that any incident involving the two would not be covered. So why did it triple???

This year I'm going back to the old adage "what they don't know won't hurt them". I have a friend with Rotties, she does not tell either. And if they come check she says shes dog sitting. I don't think anyone ever has checked though.

I have had Rotties and trampolines for longer than I have had this house. Never have I had a problem.

dumb insurance companies.

g

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When I bought my farm, I bought homeowner's insurance. They asked me if there was a "fireplace" in the house. I said there was one in the cellar but I don't use it. That jacked the price up into the stratosphere. :somad

I guess they think they can use any excuse to increase the premium but then "dog" you to death when it comes to paying a claim after which they increase the premium to get their money back. Seems a bit unethical to me but then they don't have ethics.

I have more respect for carnies and used car salesmen than I do for insurance people or lawyers (both of whom are, IMHO, at the bottom of the food chain. :sick

(I guess this string that discusses insurance companies is one discussion I should stay out of... It is better that way.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Um...if the dog isn't registered...it's a mutt. All dogs seem to have Black Lab in them somewhere down the line(even a lot of registered ones ;) )...so generally I say mutt or Lab mix.

It is ridiculous how the insurance companies want to charge for services they refuse to render :hu They won't get my money :smack

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Breed specific legislation. There are 31 targeted breeds and they are not all pit bull or rottie types and they are listed as potentially "dangerous". In some cases, in order to own a pit bull, people have had to purchase a special 250,000 insurance policy extra just for the dog. This can make it very difficult to adopt pit bulls to folks.

However, not all insurance companies have this policy and many have the don't-ask-don't-tell policy. Which means, as long as your pit bull/rottie/guard dog never causes any problem they won't ask you for any extra money. But the 31 dog breeds are interesting. Besides the ones you would expect (germ shep,doberman, pit type dogs and guard breeds, they include the cocker spaniel, the greatdane, the akita, the husky and my own near-and-dear-to-my-heart, the rhodesian ridgeback). I can't recite all 31 breeds.....

Some cities have banned certain breeds or create laws pertaining to them.

People who are against this call it being against "breed specific legislation" and we try to get laws that encourage responsible dog ownership, not banning of certain breeds. We also encourage spaying and neutering of the breeds targeted unless they are part of a pedigreed reputable breeding program (where puppies are placed responsibly).

One of the ways you can oppose breed specific legislation is to choose a homeowner insurance that does not specifically ask if you own any particular kind of dog. State Farm is one. Some times it depends on your agent.

Thanks for the tip about the trampoline.....

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
I was checking out a few insurance related message boards, trying to get some insight as to how to go about gettng a decent homeowners policy. Well, on one board a guy was on the rampage because he couldn't get the insurance he wanted because he had an aging chow. I'm no dog expert, but isn't a chow one of those little yippie-yappie foofoo doggies...? Come on, are these insurance companies for real..!?
I'm not even going to tell them i'm thinking about getting a dog. In fact i'm not telling them i have honeybees either, or a vicious mouse killing cat....! I'll play it like this.." Oh, no ma'am, i dont have a dog,can i still get insurance with you folks, being i own a pet canary?" lol Seems any little excuse is used, to drive up our ins. cost..It would seem, that any good all around herding/protection dog would be at odds with most insurance co. That sucks,...!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Besides the ones you would expect (germ shep,doberman, pit type dogs and guard breeds, they include the cocker spaniel, the greatdane, the akita, the husky and my own near-and-dear-to-my-heart, the rhodesian ridgeback)
Every cocker spaniel I ever met has been totally mental so I kinda get that one! :gig

I'm no dog expert, but isn't a chow one of those little yippie-yappie foofoo doggies...?
No, they are big, strong, powerful dogs. In fact it is the only dog breed I have seen in person with people biting issues. 3 separate dogs. 2 pure bred, one lab/chow mix. I would never own one.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
The End Of The World As We Know It

(and I feel finnnneeeeeeeee!)

:D