Best clothing brands for used clothes

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I have to second two ideas here and present a third....
1. The thrift stores in the bigger towns and fancier areas do have better stuff.

2. Several of you mentioned Sketchers shoes and I like them a lot too. I've even bought them new a few times! But they fit my feet more correctly than a lot of shoes. I sometimes have to buy new shoes because my feet are small but wide, like REAL wide.

3. I receive a lot of hand-me-downs from my sister....of course she and I are no longer growing but she likes clothes and often cleans out her closet and she knows I ALWAYS love her cast-offs, she loves the name brands and labels. My daughter and I also sort our closets and then let each other go through what we are not liking or what doesn't fit well. We all have a basic short figure with short waists and we are neither thin nor particularly fat so many things are interchangeable between us. I recently got a beautiful set of sweaters and coats from my sister, just waiting for the colder weather to try wearing them. But it feels like a big shopping spree sometimes when we "trade." She has some higher end sweaters here and I had never heard of some of these labels.

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have the same problem with Cabela's that I have with the Gap- the sizing is incredibly inconsistent. When I find something and it fits well, it's great, but I have stuff that's M and stuff that's XL.

I like Lands' End if it's older. The newer stuff shows its wear quicker, but is still worth grabbing from a thrift store.

I have a pair of Brooks Brothers pants that I got for $7 at Goodwill. They are wool with silk lining. Lightweight, breathable, warm as toast and yet far cooler than poly pants. I feel like Katharine Hepburn in them.

I also had great luck with Old Navy maternity stuff.

I am a 36H bra size, so I get bras from Lane Bryant. There are some tricks- buy one, get one, two for $35, etc. Lane Bryant is one of those places that's always having a sale. Incidentally, since I accepted the fact that no, I'm not a DD, and buying a 38" band size doesn't help it to fit any better, I quit buying hypermarket bras and realized that they really are garbage. The Lane Bryant ones last much much longer. Buying the $13 bra from Wallyworld isn't a good deal if it falls apart in less than a year. The $18-$20 bras from Lane Bryant last a couple years or more, so they are a better value all around.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Neko - that was a duplicate of this and that confused me too. I think they meant to remove it as a duplicate, is all.

I cannot wait to learn to make my own pants. Can you imagine? Pants that FIT??? heh.

HUGE hips. No butt. Long legs. Also, I prefer low rise. Seriously ridiculous to even TRY.

DesertChick

Power Conserver
Reaction score
abifae said:
I cannot wait to learn to make my own pants. Can you imagine? Pants that FIT??? heh.

HUGE hips. No butt. Long legs. Also, I prefer low rise. Seriously ridiculous to even TRY.
Abi, Sewing your own pants that fit isn't difficult. I highly recommend the book "Pants for Any Body" by Pati Palmer. It's a fantastic little book which simplifies all types of alterations, including the flat derriere! Good luck! ~Margie

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
When it comes to brands...I'm at a loss. It's whatever goes, so long as it fits, and I don't feel stupid wearing it. :p Shoes have to be comfortable, but I have wide feet, so I usually prefer to save up, and buy a pair that fits properly. Also, I get a little squicky when it comes to used shoes...

I looked at this thread last night, and it appeared to have been reported, and was taken down for review. Did anyone else see that, or was that some fluke of the server? :hu
This is hardly a controversial thread.....

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
DesertChick said:
Abi, Sewing your own pants that fit isn't difficult. I highly recommend the book "Pants for Any Body" by Pati Palmer. It's a fantastic little book which simplifies all types of alterations, including the flat derriere! Good luck! ~Margie
I think I have that one on my list to get from the library!! I'll double check and make certain I have it :D

Thanks!!!

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Back in 2008 Hubby took me to ColdWater Creek and bought me a couple items... Afew months later I got a catalog from them with a 40 % off coupon.. We went to their store here in town and they were haveing a 60 to 70 percent off sale... I was able to get 1200.00 worth of cloths for 279.00.. I'm still wearing most of the items.. I now try to pick up skirts or tops on clearance to go with what I already have... Catherines has had some good sales too.. Plus it helps to have a good coupon...

I splurged last year and got me some corderoy shirts from L L Bean. was only able to get 2 but caught them on sale.. Hopefully they will run them again this year.. I wore them the whole winter as jackets

now shoes are another matter..
I wear a 7 narrow.. man they are hard to find.. I'm hard on shoes too . LOL..

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
That's why I was asking! I was seriously thinking some wacky person was having issues about brand name clothing. :p
It was posted twice. So I'm almost positive it was supposed to be deleted and moved, not flagged ;)