best dehydrator

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Have you tried Betalux tomatoes? they're the earliest tomatoes I've ever grown
The description I found is that it produces a 2 to 4 oz. fruit. I have no interest in a small tomato. The Northern Exposure produces up to 5" diameter tomatoes that can weigh more than 1 lb. They are the hardiest tomato that I have grown.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm using electricity while it's available, but I have some ideas about how to convert my Excalibur to non-electric if/when the time comes. Something like this, connected to the dryer itself, might work
solarbox_1453_resizedhemmings.jpg

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
A cheap one? I have never paid more than $10. They pop up in auctions and thrift stores. If I was going to spend money on a dehydrator, I would be looking for a low temp or no heat option. If I had patience for the maintenance, I would get a Harvest Right. DH ordered one as a birthday present for me a few years ago but when we read the manual we cancelled the order. Yikes.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
A cheap one? I have never paid more than $10. They pop up in auctions and thrift stores. If I was going to spend money on a dehydrator, I would be looking for a low temp or no heat option. If I had patience for the maintenance, I would get a Harvest Right. DH ordered one as a birthday present for me a few years ago but when we read the manual we cancelled the order. Yikes.
I haven't ever seen any in the thrift stores around here, but I haven't been venturing out too much lately. I will have to keep my eyes open bc that is a good place to look.

I never thought of Cabela's @FarmerJamie but that makes sense, meat = jerky

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have big one from Cabelas I bought a decade ago. I have a little round Presto that works awesome for herb drying.

I don't actually dry a lot.

This sucker holds 30 pounds of apples and is a workhorse. I need to get a new piece of plexiglass for it and Mom says I can have it.

View attachment 16825
😲 Wow, just wow - Montgomery Ward

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes. I remember when they did and they liquidated the one in Virginia Beach. We actually shopped there fairly often but I guess it was one of the few doing ok.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When I first tried Northern Exposure tomatoes they were similar to what you describe. I kept growing them because they were the best short season tomato I have ever found. I also kept growing them because once they were canned they were every bit as good as any other canned tomato. When I learned about azomite, it turned those tomatoes into some of the most flavorful and best textured tomatoes I have ever grown.

Unfortunately about 4 or 5 years ago Burpee's discontinued them. I am continuing to have them by cloning them at the end of the season.
Have you tried Betalux tomatoes? they're the earliest tomatoes I've ever grown