milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi All,
We have a 2 1/2 stall "shop".

We started setting it up as a shop, but 2 years of illness, and a bad roof on another shed temporarily forced everything into the shop. Right now it's being used as storage for EVERYTHING (motorcycle, bikes, tools, lawnmowers, weedeaters, chain saws, chicken stuff, potting stuff, used feed bags, paint, gas cans, wood scraps... You name it- it's in there!) So much so, that right now the shop isn't usable as a shop.

My husband is retiring soon, and I want to have the shop completely cleaned out, painted and organized for his retirement.
All but shop stuff will be going into a new garden shed being added to the back of the property.

My questions for all of you are:
1) What is your favorite thing about your shop?
2) What have you done to make things easy to keep organized?
3) What are your favorite tools for woodworking?
4) If you had a 2 1/2 stall shop to work in, what would be on your dream list?
5) Looking at the pictures, what are some ideas for making this a great place for my husband to enjoy? (There's a mini fridge in there somewhere, along with a rolling microwave stand and microwave and coffee maker.)

I have a whole pile of pegboard that I got free that I plan on putting up. I also have a 14' counter with 35 drawers (free to me) that I have been using to sort tools, nuts and nails and screws, painting supplies, window splining stuff, masonry tools, etc.
There are two 14' long wood tables. We already have a jig saw, table saw, circular saw, hand saws. It was used as a shop before we had it, and it has LOTS of electrical outlets.

Here are some "before" pictures:

Attachments

• IMG_20191005_092600147.jpg
    IMG_20191005_092600147.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_20191005_092850662.jpg
    IMG_20191005_092850662.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_20191005_092733774.jpg
    IMG_20191005_092733774.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_20191005_092933372.jpg
    IMG_20191005_092933372.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Over the years I found only one thing that I like in a shop, tall ceilings. You just can't swing long lengths of lumber around in a shop with low ceilings. I can't begin to tell how many light bulbs I've broke swinging boards around.

My shop is anywhere my tools are really the building doesn't matter much to me unless its raining.

I've been in wood shops that are so clean and organized that I wonder if any wood working ever goes on in there. Then I've been in shops just the opposite where it appears unorganized and there is sawdust all over. My shop fits in the later category. If you walked into my shop you wouldn't be able to find anything, but I know were everything is and it's placed there so I can work proficiently.

My shop pretty much stays messy. The only time I clean it is when I'm done with a project. Back to back to back projects unless you cone in where I just finished and am beginning to start a new one it's messy. Yes I actually do woodworking in my shop :)

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The headboard is out of glue and rough sanded. It's heavy and strong, like bull ox.

I found out that 7/8" thick White Ash doesn't like to be bent one little bit... But I made it do it anyways.

I asked my wife to help me. When I told her that I'm going to make this board bend around the radius on the top of the headboard.

She said your crazy! i agreed with her and all, but that's besides the point. Then she said you do know this is ash right, you know the stuff they make base ball bats out of? Yes I know that... Then she said I thought you were supposed the get it wet first? Then I said well that's kind of like plan B. But lets give it a try anyways. Here put these safety glasses on in and zip up your coat so it covers your neck, case it blows up and shoot splinters all over the place. That reassured her, that i really am crazy...

But it went off without a hitch. When we were done my wife said. I guess it just takes a crazy woodworker to get it done. Yep and with a lot of force, but we got her done.

Now that I know "it can be done" I'm good to go. Now I can finish working this piece of now ship plank and get it glued into place :)

IMG_20191118_163113.jpg

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Just goes to show, you don't know untill you try. And being a little crazy doesn't hurt none either.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's so pretty finished with mineral oil and beeswax. I've had some people say that the wood is to wild in some of the stuff I've built oh my god there's a knot.. All that drastic color variations is called natural wood character and I have yet to see one tree without branches.
IMG_20191207_165654.jpg

IMG_20191207_165509131.jpg

IMG_20191207_165551636.jpg

Now that the crib part is done. Where's my new granddaughter?

Last edited:

DconBlueZ

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
"Best tool" depends one what sort of woodworking he enjoys. Making rustic birdhouses or exquisitely finished art pieces or cabinets/furniture?

Someone mentioned a shop vac - definitely a necessity.

A lathe can be used to make some really cool things and a lot of practical things as well. My lathe paid for itself the first time I replaced a broken spindle in a Windsor chair back.

LIGHTING. Lots and lots of it. Mix of incandescent and LED. I find that LEDs mess with colors but provide lots of light, incandescents get the colors right but not so bright. When I'm making cuts I use the LEDs, when I'm applying finishes I use incandescents.

Some of those foam floor pads that sell for $10 on sale at Harbor Freight. The big box stores sell them too, but for more money. Standing on a hard shop floor for very long can really make your feet hurt, these things are a Godsend. Over time I've covered almost my whole shop floor with them.

Does he like to work to music? I do. I bought a nice bluetooth speaker and play tunes from my phone.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
is that top edge secured by some other things than just glue? i can't quite tell from your description if that was bent before putting it on or if you glued it in place.

Yes, wood glue and 5 countersunk construction screws. I could just plug the hole with 5 3/8" wood button plugs but I think that looks tacky. So I decided to just veneer the top with a good clean piece of 3/16" thick white ash. I'll give it a more finished trim type look than buttons.

Bent 7/8" thick top with glue and screws
IMG_20191119_172719967.jpg

3/16" veneer to hide screw holes.
IMG_20191119_172826840.jpg

Veneer reveal close up, much better now 👍
IMG_20191119_172848429.jpg

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Best shop tip besides high ceilings and lighting. A guy can never have enough clamps, especially spring clamps :) they are like an extra set of thumbs. If I recall correctly, Menard's had them on sale 2 for a dollar several years ago, I bought 60 of them then. I store them in a 5 gallon bucket under my shop table for a quick grab when I need a few.
IMG_20191119_194157549.jpg