CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Clamps and ratchet straps. I don't think I could accomplish any wood working task without them.

Ratchet straps are awesome, almost required when doing any type of framing or deck building. They are so handy to make wood do what you want it to do, instead of what it wants to do.

The orange straps I had on the headboard were rated for 10,000 lbs and I had them so tight I could pluck a E on them waiting for the glue to dry.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Footboard or side, is moving right along... White ash, cherry slats to match the headboard. Lots of mortis and tendon work in the footboard, where as the headboard was a lot of rabbeting. There's still a couple things left to do before putting it in glue. But I have to stop and butcher mr. thanksgiving.
IMG_20191124_135241.jpg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So when you said 2.5 "stalls", I thought of my barn. :D Nope, bigger than that....thankfully, as mine are for mini horses. :idunno Now...that new shed better be a big one! You have a lot of stuff to relocate. (yeah, you know).

Gosh, there must be a place with layouts -- like you find for kitchens, baths, etc. Have you looked? Plus, I think that a woodworker would have some personal idea as to where they'd like things. You have a lot of the tools of the trade which tells me DH had some type of "shop" area before. Do you remember -- or have pics -- of how he had things arranged?

I don't do that type of work, so not much help with further suggestions. But, I am certain it will be awesome when done! I totally agree with PatriciaPNW!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Can't help you with the organization. Our "shop also houses 2 cars, plus a lot of "stuff". Have to take the cars out to do any wood working. It totally needs to be organized, but I have no organization skills, and tend to be ADHD, jumping from one project to an other, with the final result being that I often have multiple projects in the works, with nothing completed. @Beekissed is the queen of organization. Hopefully, she'll chime in here.

I envision creating one section of deep shelves, putting peg board up behind the work bench. Perhaps designating the back (or front) end of one of those bays for hubby's "man cave" area.

We're also kicking around how best to meet our storage needs. I'm even willing to give up my 10 x 12 chicken coop to turn it into a storage shed. The location is not ideal, but could be made workable. Then building a much smaller wood's style coop on skids. That would entail cutting my flock size by 75%.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You have a lot of the tools of the trade which tells me DH had some type of "shop" area before. Do you remember -- or have pics -- of how he had things arranged?

When we bought the property, we envisioned a large garden and fruit trees (which we've since established). He didn't have a real shop before, but has always wanted one. He HAS worked with wood on and off through the years, and has always enjoyed that. We wanted to eventually set up the shop for his retirement, so we could eventually do craft shows, but his cancer has forced an earlier retirement than originally planned. But I've been collecting the tools over the last few years for rediculously low prices as I find them at rummage sales.
A lot of the stuff in the shop now belongs to our son. He was in the Army, and was stationed overseas. He is now looking for a house here in the States. And everything that has to do with the yard, garden, and chickens will be moved to the new shed. It'll look much better when I get that peg board up, and the other stuff out!
It looks bad now, but it won't for long. The weather is finally getting cool enough for me to tackle this as a project (a window AC unit is on the list for the shop.)

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks @Mini Horses. Didn't you see the shop vac?? (Me either, but "it's in there.".. Sounds like an old Ragu commercial:lol:) But great idea to have handy. I'll add it to the list to have available. We DO have one...

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Who wouldn't love a room like that top one?? I love all that light! That's going to be a problem in our shop. There's just not much light unless the big door is wide open. I'll have to see if we can add more lights.
I'll be checking these out tonight. Thanks @Beekissed !