Beverage Costs: Another Soapbox Moment

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It use to be that desserts and soda's were a special treat. When I was a kid we had desserts on birthdays and holidays and sodas was a trip to town or maybe a picnic. Grandmother would tell us to save a bite of our meal to eat after the dessert so we could get the sweet taste out of our mouth. As a result I didn't care much for sweets so many years ago. I should start doing that again. My husband is so addicted to sugar he becomes terribly moody if he doesn't get his sugar fix.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Everything has its place. Moderation is key
I have 4 kids and we go threw 2 gallons of milk a week. They only get milk in cereal for breakfast and milk to drink with dinner. The rest of the time its water. Poor kids get all excited about sweet tea...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Everything has its place. Moderation is key
I have 4 kids and we go threw 2 gallons of milk a week. They only get milk in cereal for breakfast and milk to drink with dinner. The rest of the time its water. Poor kids get all excited about sweet tea...

My momma made loose leaf tea on Sundays. It WAS a big deal! :lol:

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We had a gal here last summer that was making brisk sales at the Farmers' Market with her kombucha. I noticed one of the local grocery stores is now selling her "brand" now, as well. It could be a nice line of income.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Great idea. I'm going to order a started and get some going. I don't know if we will like it or not. Time will tell!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think I mentioned it in another post somewhere, but you can add about 20% fruit juice to the finished kombucha for other flavors. We are especially fond of cherry juice in ours.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We do water here and keep some fruit juice on hand for visitors and grandkids...don't do much dairy, so if we need milk we'll open a can of canned milk and dilute it for cereal and such. We also keep buttermilk on hand to drink a couple of times a week...it's yummy and a good probiotic. Mom does some green tea but I'm not a fan. My kids didn't get pop or sugary drinks when growing up but they sure do put them away now. :rolleyes:

A couple of times of year I drink a glass of pop at their homes and it burns so bad I make a face, gasp and comment on it and they think I'm crazy. That stuff is like drinking sugar acid! :eek: And if it has caffeine in it, it will keep me up all night long, no matter how early in the day I had imbibed it. I don't do well with caffeine and such.

Water is good and free here, so we keep a couple of jugs in the fridge at all times so that we have icy cold water. Can't beat that for a beverage that never lets you down and is healthy for all body systems.

Latest posts