Beverage Costs: Another Soapbox Moment

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A few years ago I had a serious Diet Coke habit. Then I really found out what I was drinking and haven't had it in a couple of years. I tried it a year or so after stopping and I got super jittery and an immediate headache. It's amazing that I used to drink it every day!

ChickenMomma91

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Soda is a huge addiction in my house. I personally don't drink it as much because of having issues with my teeth, the sugar hurts! But Mountain Dew was my go to poison of choice and I still swig down a monster energy drink when I'm working the overnight shift but it will last me the whole shift which is 5pm-2ish am. heck my husband bought himself a 34-pk of off brand Dr. Pepper and I think I've had three or four cans of it in like 2 weeks. At work I drink mostly water and coffee. My coffee has to be as sweet as I am though, at home its about 2tbsp per cup of coffee and a tiny amount of liquid creamer if I have it or a splash of milk, at work it equals I think up to about 10 sugar 6 cream in a large coffee. I'm not sure how much is in a button push for the sugar dispenser, I'll have to ask at work tomorrow. I'm the only juice drinker in the house so when I do buy it I make sure its the organic natural juices and I read the labels to keep the hinky stuff out. DH lives off coffee, home brewed sweet tea and water, occasionally he'll splurge for a case of soda.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you have to eat at a fast food place, ask for a water cup. Most here give them free. Some charge a quarter.

I just can't do sodas anymore. Too sweet

ChickenMomma91

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
At work people can get free small water cups, in our lobby we give them a clear cup because kids are jerks. Its fun catching non-water kids, I tell them to dump it or pay up the dollar that a small soda costs. Me giving them the stink eye is generally enough of a deterrent

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
The problem with most water in restaurants is that it's tap water...city water.... :sick I never drink city water if I can help it. Tastes like one would imagine the butt of a hippo would taste. :sick

So, when in an eatery, I am often forced to order tea or lemonade to cover the taste of that crappy water unless they have bottled water, which is also an iffy prospect...sometimes that's just tap water in a bottle and tastes like it.

When I know I'm going to a place like that, I often will bring along my own insulated cup of water from home, but sometimes get dirty looks over that.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We gave up all soda over two years ago...we were diet soda drinkers...one or two a day each. We have our 2 cups of coffee in the morning and the rest of the day it's water. We both drink over a gallon a day...from our well. We don't have to worry about restaurant water since we don't go out to restaurants....haven't been to one in years. We don't buy bottled water...such a farce...if we are going to be gone from home for a while, we take our own water with us.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can't tolerate city water either...:eek: I'm the worst kind of customer in a restaurant. I order water w/lemon and add some Stevia. Free lemonade! I refuse to pay nearly $3 for a glass of ice tea.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Speaking of lemonade, I tried a recipe for strawberry lemonade concentrate. Water bath canned. SUPER YUMMY FANTASTIC! I made blueberry lemonade too - just as good, and costs less because we grow our own blueberries. I spent $60 on strawberries last year to try a bunch of canning recipes. The strawberry lemonade was the only one worth repeating.... I coulda saved $60....

Latest posts