BIG NEWS!!!

Marshmallow Man

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Congrats. Where at in Colo? Colorado has 3 different zones in the same state. East of the mountains is high plains desert. Then the mountains run right down the center and go from around 7000 to 14000 feet. Of course the highest town is Leadville and I doubt you'll be growing hay there. Then on the west side is solid population from Ft Collins down to Colorado Springs. If you're growing hay I assume you will be on the eastern plains somewhere.

Inquiring mi9nds want to know. Be careful with the altitude. It takes a couple weeks to get used to the thin air.
You'll love it here. The climate is great and the mountains are beautiful.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Marshmallow Man said:
Congrats. Where at in Colo? Colorado has 3 different zones in the same state. East of the mountains is high plains desert. Then the mountains run right down the center and go from around 7000 to 14000 feet. Of course the highest town is Leadville and I doubt you'll be growing hay there. Then on the west side is solid population from Ft Collins down to Colorado Springs. If you're growing hay I assume you will be on the eastern plains somewhere.

Inquiring mi9nds want to know. Be careful with the altitude. It takes a couple weeks to get used to the thin air.
You'll love it here. The climate is great and the mountains are beautiful.
Thanx for the reminders!! I was born in the Springs and raised in Woodland Park, snowmobiling all around Leadville as a matter of fact. My house had the picture perfect view of the Peak, and we'd sit in the yard and watch the race up the mountain. I've not been back in MANY years, and I'm sure that thin air will have me worn out for the first couple weeks or more. I still have loads of friends wecoming me "home" and I can't wait!

We will be in the San Luis Vally, in San Acacio. Twenty Two miles from the NM line. If you mapquest it, and look at an aerial view, you'll see the circles....thats where I'll be!!! Center pivot irrigation is the reason for those 'crop circles', lol.

Marshmallow Man

Power Conserver
Reaction score
That's great. I guess that's why nobody else asked. They already knew you and knew the answer. Can't help but tout the state, when I can. Living in Il must have been quite a change. I was born there and moved to Colo when I was 5. Grew up here. I can't remember the winters, but I do remember the summers from going there on vacation to visit my parents friends.

Center pivot irrigation. That's good. It's the only sure way to grow hay here. In our area very few people irrigate. Most just plant and hope they get enough water to get the field going. During drought the price of hay goes up quickly.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
That is very near where we went on vacation this summer. It is a really nice area. Lots of stars! Bring your jackets, however it is cool at altitude even in the summer. :)

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey, congratulations! That's really exciting news - sounds like a dream come true (at least once you get moved-- I know how stressful moving itself can be, but it's SO worth it!). Looking forward to hearing all about the new place.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:weee <----- Me very excited for you!!! What a blessing and such an exciting time for you. A new adventure. Keep us posted and pictures when you have time, please!!!

gina

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
In my old job I had to fly a lot to meetings - some out west. I loved flying over the circles. I thought they were alien landing strips. :lol:

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Could this drive be any more mundane? I'm typing from my phone in Kansas .....salina to be specific. Going to drive about another hour then calling it a day! I'll be on my laptop tonight. :frow

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
pioneergirl said:
Could this drive be any more mundane? I'm typing from my phone in Kansas .....salina to be specific. Going to drive about another hour then calling it a day! I'll be on my laptop tonight. :frow
:lol:

Hubby and I LOVE to drive through Kansas. So wide open and flat. The sky just goes on forever. We often VACATION there out on the prairie.

Guess it isn't for everybody. :p ;)