Big Ole Pot of Happy

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I like that name 'A Big Ole Pot of Happy'. I love to make soups especially when cold weather sinks in. It was 18 degrees a couple of mornings ago and I made a pot of cheeseburger soup. It barely made it until lunch time. DH has been hinting about broccoli and cheese soup. I also need to make a giant pot of chili and try canning a few jars. My grandson always wants me to make potato soup. For many years our favorite has been taco soup unless it split pea soup. Nothing like a hot bowl of soup to warm you on a cold day.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Been 5 days since I canned this turkey soup. It's very interesting to me how it's separated in the jars. Looks like butter on top followed by fat, then meat, stuffing, veggies & saesoning on the bottom.

I made the soup with leftover stuffed turkey. I make stuffing with butter so that makes since why butter is on top.
IMG_20171213_113021700.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
M-m-m-m! All that soup sure makes my mouth water! LOVE the title, "Big Ole Pot Of Happy! It's so perfect, 'cause a big bowl of hot soup on a cold Winter's day sure does make me happy!

We had a big bowl of goat soup for dinner last night. The day before DH had slow cooked a leg of goat in the crock pot all day, with onion, garlic, celery & carrots.

Last night he heated the broth, including the veggies. Then he used the immersion blender to incorporate the veggies into the broth, which thickened it somewhat. Then, he added salt & a couple Tbsp of Arrowroot to the broth, blended it again and reheated it, stirring until thickened a bit more, making it more like a stew.

Finally he added chunks of goat meat & served. OMG! It was amazing!!!

ETA: OOPS! I forgot a crucial ingredient in this yummy soup! DH also added 2 cups of cooked Black Beans, that I had saved in the freezer. That gave the soup a great flavor & texture. He added that when he was using the immersion blender.

We need PICS! No pictures - it didn't happen.:)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Butchering our first 2 wethers was really hard.
It is hard the first time. But, it is delish! My favorite way to cook it is in the crock pot with a bottle of red wine and lots of garlic and rosemary. Oh my!

We haven't butchered many goats - people keep wanting to give me money for them so I give in and sell - but I've got two ear-marked to be butchered. One I can probably do anytime now, or more likely when the weather is more cooperative. The other is a young wether and I might let him go a little longer, he's still kinda small.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Recipe? Humm... I just wing it. I'll have to think on that a little and post it later.

I had to add more water about 1/2 way through because it started to get thick.

I just had a bowl and I do say so myself it came out very good.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had soup for dinner. Nice warm, satisfying and ready to heat & eat! I make a large pot when cooking -- often a clean the frig menu, LOL -- but, soups lend themselves to that! Nice to have a jar of "ready" after a long day at work. Healthier than fast food.

Your soup looks great.