Birch Syrup

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Last year I did some nature lessons at a day camp. The place where they were having the camp tried to tap their "maple" trees so they could make syrup. Only problem being, they weren't maples, they were sweet gum!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
They must not have done something right because they got nothing. I've never tapped trees and didn't ask what they did. They did have the taps really low, but I can't think that this would have made a difference.

ETA: Just did some research and found nothing on tapping sweet gum. I did find a site that said the tree can be slashed then the sap can be collected when it hardens and use it as chewing gum.

Last edited:

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have enjoyed birch soda; it tasted a little like root beer. I have heard that pine syrup (from the young needle tips, not the sap) tastes lemony which would probably be due to the high C content.
I recently read an article about making candles from pine sap- something I want to try since we have lots of pine trees in the area and beeswax is so expensive.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would never have thought about tapping pines but I'm thinking it might be good for cleaning (Pine Sol?). I saw somewhere talk about boiling pine branches/needles for a cleaning solution.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I would never have thought about tapping pines but I'm thinking it might be good for cleaning (Pine Sol?). I saw somewhere talk about boiling pine branches/needles for a cleaning solution.

I'm pretty sure they make turpentine out of pine tar/sap. I don't think I would want to drink any pine sap.

I've made root beer from sassafras root before it's really delicious. I also like birch beer but never tried to make it.

Latest posts