Birch Syrup

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My family members are really party poopers. I was just told that if I want to make Hickory Syrup I have to do all the work but it would be totally different if the were the ones that thought of the idea.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I just did a quick search for trees that can be tapped for syrup and I've got one! Who knew you could tap a sycamore tree? I might just have to try it next year and see if I can produce a teaspoon of syrup, lol.

I wonder why you can tap hickory and black walnuts but I couldn't find any info on tapping a pecan. There are pecan trees all around me.

I was wondering about sycamores. If you're lost and find a sycamore, you can tap it at any time of the year to get something to drink.

Oh and your pine syrup will be high in vitamin C. If your lost and find a pine, you can eat almost every part of it.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
My family members are really party poopers. I was just told that if I want to make Hickory Syrup I have to do all the work but it would be totally different if the were the ones that thought of the idea.
This is when you do a "Little Red Hen" and do it all yourself and enjoy it too! ;)

I would give it a shot and see how it turns out. Please let us know if you do, I'm so curious about this process now.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I wish we had some of the big leaf maples on our property. It's the only maple we can grow here with all the water.

Nothing here is really good for syrup.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Does anyone have pics of these processes (tapping the trees, making syrup)?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just this part... Homemade evaporator..
0309171320-1.jpg
And the final result
0314171606b.jpg
I'll try to do a how to next year. Maybe I'll have real internet and a computer by then and it won't be so painful uploading pics!

Latest posts