Birth control in a EOTWAWKI situation?

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I hope this is not too blatant- I worked in the medical field for 11 years and have no shame, it's all factual to me, so I try to keep in mind that other people are easily offended by things that dont phase me.

One thing that I worry about most for myself and for my sisters and SIL is preventing pregnancy. None of us believe in eliminating a pregnancy, but we do believe in preventing pregnancy.

Latex condoms have expiration dates, and become brittle after that date, plus are only 80 something % effective. Hormonal birth control is of course the best method for prevention, which is what we currently use, but you have to get it through a doctor and cant stockpile it. I know about the "Rhythm", following your cycle, and the withdrawal method, but both of those are about as effective as or less effective than condoms. I won't use an IUD because- there is a small chance of getting pregnant, and if you DO get pregnant with an IUD in place, you should have it removed for your own body's safety, but having it removed gives a chance of losing the baby- if I did end up pregnant, I'd want to keep the baby, not kill it, so that is not an option for me. Obviously abstinence is the only 100% effective method, LOL, but not an option when married :) What are some other methods? What is your plan?

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Cassanova's best friend was a little piece of sheep intestine with a pink ribbon to hold it on.. ;)

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Are sheep-intestine condoms available anymore? I do know that Grandpa had one that broke, and that's how Mom came into this world hahaha How would you go about making them?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Blaundee said:
Are sheep-intestine condoms available anymore? I do know that Grandpa had one that broke, and that's how Mom came into this world hahaha How would you go about making them?
Google "Victorian Pharmacy" you tube. They had a segment on just that, though I don't remember exactly how much detail they gave.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It seemed that they salted them and they were known to break.. but then condoms break now.. but maybe I'll go do some google foo.. lol

Found more info..
For the curious, here's how to make a sheep-gut condom, according to a publication in 1824. Soak a sheep's intestine caeca in water for a number of hours, then turn inside out, and macerate them again in weak alkaline, changed every 12 hours. Scrape them carefully to remove the mucous membrane, leaving the peritoneal and muscular coats, and expose them to the vapour of burning brimstone. Then wash them in soap and water, inflate them, dry them and cut to a length of seven to eight inches. Finally, border the open end with a ribbon to tie round the base of the penis, and before use soak the condom in water to make it supple.
from the History of the condom h2g2
So glad I don't have to worry about that..

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hahahah! Good to know how, I suppose.... perhaps abstinence will be the method of the day lol

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
there certainly is an ick factor.. :sick Makes ya wonder how strong those fake sausage casings are?

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Emerald said:
there certainly is an ick factor.. :sick Makes ya wonder how strong those fake sausage casings are?
Hmmm.... fake sausage casings.... last a long time and MUCH less ick..... plus you can use them for other things, too, not like storing boxes upon boxes of condoms HAHAHA Anyone want to volunteer to see how well they work????? :D

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Well snipping the guy is effective too if you don't want children :hu I don't know about wrapping anything in a sheeps anything that's going to then go INTO my "space" ....NOT happenin!

Latest posts