Birth control in a EOTWAWKI situation?

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
Well, if someone has a rather horrible period, there are treatments that could be implimented, with the desired effects. There are lots of female herbs. I placed an order of $137, mainly in seeds from Baker Creek, which are largely for herbal remedies. I ordered them to suit my families needs, but I haven't included any herbs that would qualify in this area.....like I said, I put the contraceptive herbs outta my mind.
What would I do if someone decides to victimize me.......I hope he'd show up on a day I'm slaughtering, because I don't think I look like the perfect victim on those days. A total meltdown would probably indicate that every man for himself and I'm not sure how high on the priority list rape would be, so I think I'd just have to deal with it. But as far as what to do with a child conceived in such a mannor.....pretty sure his/her little butt would be all mine, cuz I won't say what kinda revenge I think I'd take.....or what kinda revenge the men in my family would be likely to take.
But you are right....the possibility of an attack is always a possibility. Personally, I think all women should take some kinda self-defense class and have some emergency back-up plans, involving weapon use or escape routes and such. Bad enough to have been put into a body that is naturally weaker than our counterparts, without being left completely at someone's mercy. A while back, I was taking a Body Combat class at our local gym, which I considered an important SS skill. What good is it to be able to feed my family and preserve food and keep my house warm if a criminal can just come in here and help himself. Unfortunately I had to fork over a vehicle to my oldest for educational purposes and now that I've remedied that problem with transportation, I haven't started working out again. Self-defense should be ever on our minds. You just never know when or how danger might present itself.
Ever since we were little kids, my parents have taught all of us kids self-defense and how to use weapons properly, and as we got older we practiced a lot with each other and got really good at it. My 2 younger sisters and Mom took tai kwon do classes for a while, and my brother was in the Marines and taught a lot of stuff to us girls. We have never had to use any of it, and I pray we never do, but we do know how to use our own bodies as weapons if that's all we have. Yes, it's not fair that our bodies are both succeptible to rape ANd weaker than a comparative sized man's body, but there's a LOT of fighting will in us, and if you know how to use it, that can tip the scales in your favor.

I dont walk around scared of being raped, but I DO pay attention to people and things going on around me when I'm in town. In a societal collapse, I dont know if the incidence of rape would indeed rise, but when there is civil unrest in places like Africa, rape skyrockets- of course, rape is not an actual "crime" in most societies there... if someone raped one of us girls, they'd be hunted down like the beast they are.... so there IS a deterrent just in the fact that we DO have men around and in our families, and it IS considered a crime in our society.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I once needed to use a tae kwon do block to protect my head. I knew I had been involved in a fight and somewhat remembered using a block I knew, but wasn't positive, until the bruise appeared on my left forearm and I found the top of my little smokie with a big dent on it. Well, better than my head.
I think rape would increase if TSHTF.......it did in New Orleans. To tell the truth, I'm more concerned with surviving the attack than I would be dealing with a possible pregnancy that could result though. First things first.
Its too bad that the contraception tea I read about wasn't a test question because I kept all my tests. I quickly looked thru about 8 of my books, in the index' but I can't find anything under birthcontrol or contraception. I don't remember what book it was in. I am still studying, however and I'll come back here if and when I discover something useful. But to tell the truth.......NFP and in the case of an assault, just hurry to the bathtub and take a really fast vigorous bath.

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
I once needed to use a tae kwon do block to protect my head. I knew I had been involved in a fight and somewhat remembered using a block I knew, but wasn't positive, until the bruise appeared on my left forearm and I found the top of my little smokie with a big dent on it. Well, better than my head.
I think rape would increase if TSHTF.......it did in New Orleans. To tell the truth, I'm more concerned with surviving the attack than I would be dealing with a possible pregnancy that could result though. First things first.
Its too bad that the contraception tea I read about wasn't a test question because I kept all my tests. I quickly looked thru about 8 of my books, in the index' but I can't find anything under birthcontrol or contraception. I don't remember what book it was in. I am still studying, however and I'll come back here if and when I discover something useful. But to tell the truth.......NFP and in the case of an assault, just hurry to the bathtub and take a really fast vigorous bath.
The bath didnt help my cousin when she was raped and too ashamed to tell anyone :( But yes, surviving the initial attack is first and foremost! There's no pregnancy to worry about if you're dead. I would greatly appreciate info on the tea if/when you do find it :)

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
txcanoegirl said:
Here's some info on Queen Anne's Lace/Wild carrots you might find interesting...
http://www.carrotmuseum.co.uk/cont.html
Thanks for the great link!

and on the matter of self defense. I know plenty but there will always be others that know more. The aftermath of such an attack may be harder on some than others. I've been there and know from first hand experience. Needless to say I'm a stronger person for it. I think that all children should be taught some form of self defense and girls most of all.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Interesting.... the scary part is testing this out... :-/ Wish there were more research on it.
Don't exactly like the disclaimer info at the bottom... itching?! That doesn't sound fun!

TheMartianChick

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Once I was sure that my family was complete..I got snipped! It just made sense for me to take a permanent measure.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Blaundee said:
Emerald said:
there certainly is an ick factor.. :sick Makes ya wonder how strong those fake sausage casings are?
Hmmm.... fake sausage casings.... last a long time and MUCH less ick..... plus you can use them for other things, too, not like storing boxes upon boxes of condoms HAHAHA Anyone want to volunteer to see how well they work????? :D
omg :lol: my eyes are watering.

btw... i was thinking the same thing from the mention of the sheep intestin.:sick i got myself "fixed" after dd#4.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Greetings Ladies,
I couldn't help reading this entire string because the subject is DEFINITELY a "post-event" concern for everyone...not just women.
As I read this string I noticed that not one man had the courage to get into this topic. I'm sure that by now you all know that I DO have that courage and fortunately, I ALSO have some professional "credibility" on the subject of human fertility.

I woud begin by saying that Rhoda has given you some very sound advice. While I am NOT RCC, nor do I espouse their entire philosophy I DO endorse their approach to "Natural Family Planning". One of you did mention that the "equipment" for such procedures cost a lot and I really don't think that is the case. Most of what I teach in my "professional" role requires a thermometer and careful attention to one's own body. If you get a copy of a book on physiology, you will find the chart that explains the female fertility cycle. While not needing to go into it deeply here, I would suggest that each of you who wish to "prevent" pregnancy (without compromising the safety of your family situation or the equanimity of your marriage) learn this subject and TEACH it to your daughters and sons. YES, sons. If they are taught to respect their relationship with women, fewer difficulties are going to be experienced in the realm of relationship, later. They will know when they "are and are not welcome" at home "that night or two". You spend lots of time teaching this all to your dd's but never to your ds's. WHY? THey need to know this if you are ever going to get them to compromise effectively.

The point is that no matter what happens, (and since I DO THINK something serious is impending,) this topic is of significant importance. First because we probably would be better served by delaying a new generation until we get things back to some semblance of "NORMAL" after the event and secondly to reduce the stress (which will be enormous) on the women who survive at that time.

That having been said, perhaps it is important to look at another aspect of this whole basice subject and that is the essence of the nature of how men feel, think and behave in this regard.

All of you know about yourselves and something about the man with whom you share your life...I said SOMETHING, not all that much.
In our current social construct, the entire approach to the effect of the hormones in a man's body never seem to garner much attention from the world of women. Society has instructed us to behave in a certain way when it comes to the 5th most powerful human drive, following Air, Water, sleep, and food. Most women will tell you that they spend most of their lives "dodging" the aggressive tendencies of men who have very strong needs. Some women have similarly strong needs but in our current society, these are few because we have acculturated women not to share that information with the rest of the world.
(you may be able to detect the fact that I am attempting to keep the language of this discussion more "clinically oriented" rather than "street oriented".) As a result of these strong needs (or percieved needs which in truth are hormonally driven) the societal norms have discouraged the careful attention to reducing the stress caused by "unmet needs" which tend to cause increased aggression.

Women have for all of history (before the age of effective contraception) held the keys to "morality" in society because of the effect that sex has on society; i.e. children. Up until the age of effective contraception, many women died because of any number of inappropriate ways of handling unwanted pregnancy, e.g. "back alley abortions, etc" At least now we have the weapon to change how we manage this problem.

Our knowledge base has increased to the extent that we can overcome these difficulties by changing not only the approach to preventing pregnancy in the woman's body but improving the womans approach to dealing with the needs of the men in their world.

"We have an old saying in my country..." "There is MORE than one way to skin a cat." It would be wise to incorporate that philosophy into the approach toward birth control for "after the event" because of the need to separate two very important issues.

Sex drive in a man (just like it is in a woman) hormonally driven and really is NOT any more controllable for them than it is for you. What is different is that since the preferred approach for a woman exposes her to the possibility of pregnancy, the general approach is that of avoidance rather than practicing an alternative. I mean come on now ladies, the LGBT population has this figured out. Don't you think the "straight community" can come up with a "better way"? I, in my professional experience advocate the use of alternative activity because it conveys the important concept of understood and recognized need for intimacy and acknowlegement of the needs, without the rejection caused by the possibility of unwanted pregnancy.

As one of you said, you don't want them "angry and nuts" or words to that effect.

Sheep intestines are a possibility but then carry some risks as well, including the "ick" factor. But the more important issue is the way we adapt to the changes with which we are faced, not only as individuals but as a people.

Considering this discussion is about life after "the event" that causes TEOTWAWKI, it will be important to recognize that the world will go back to the way your great-great grandmother knew it, but with the difference that you will have a great deal more knowledge on the reasons for things and the "how-to" of things they never knew. THe modern conveniences to which we have become accustomed will not return for quite some time. They will eventually because some of those who survive will retain the information required to re-create/rebuild the good that our society has learned.

The adaptation to the ways of the past will define how we as a people move into the next phase of human history because the survivors will write about it for the next 10,000 years.

Latest posts