Blackbird's SS Journal - Country to City

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
also remember that really nice people can be found in the MOST UNUSUAL ways.

i've lived in some tough neighborhoods. this is going to sound really strange to a lot of folks, but i made really good friends with a number of "older" prostitutes... yes, i know, it's strange. my parents were completely mortified. but, they were the first people to come and welcome me to the neighborhood and i soon found out that they know EVERYTHING about EVERYONE. they told me exactly where not to walk at night, where i could get the best cheap food, who in the neighborhood was helpful and considerate of others... i had one of the best Thanksgiving parties ever on my big front porch with a bunch of hookers and my hipster friends (who were genuinely terrified of the prostitutes).

now, things are a bit different since i'm a girl. i'm definitely NOT suggesting you go looking for prostitutes to befriend, cause that's just looking for trouble for a young man like you. i'm just saying that you have to be open to strange yet wonderful occurrences. always use your good judgment but don't let fear or misunderstanding rule you.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Are there any local pet stores? Often times you will find people, like me, who are stuck in the city physically, but mentally were as country as can be.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh and in the 80s my mom lived on the east side, and lots of mexicans had chickens/bunnies for food and they would escape. So my mom found them, and kept them in her apartment (out on the balcony during the day) not much bigger then ypurs :D

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm not sure about too many stores or where the library is yet, OR where any hookers are, for a matter of fact.

The dumpster isn't too far away, dare I take a peak?

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I took a bag to the dumpster today. Two old (70's?) chairs in there, but nothing else, and I have three chairs, which is enough. Anyone else can sit on the floor. :lol:

School is school. Boring and normal. Nothing too terrible.

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If you're physically near campus, it's worth wandering by the dumpsters and dorm halls and stuff when the term ends. Most places have AMAZING stuff waiting to be found.

Glad you're doing well and stay safe! Cities can be a lot of fun sometimes. Check a local newspaper for free events. Outdoor concerts and stuff are common in some places. Worth checking out!

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Just wanted to chime in and add my 2-cents worth of congratulations on a nice looking apt. You don't want it too cluttered up with furniture, anyway- especially with bedbugs already there! The DE sounds like a good idea- it will take care of any roaches in the kitchen area, too. (always a problem in city apts whether you see them or not. Even if the landlord bug bombed before you moved in)

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks! Cockroaches? ACK!!!1!!

Ok, so I have a question. I have enough money saved away to stay here, but I was planning on actually getting a real job to pay for it so that I wouldn't have to use any savings.
Being in the city has reminded me of how drab and conventional 'real' jobs are, and honestly, working with other people doesn't seem that pleasant. I don't like the concept of leaving home and going someplace for a set amount of hours just to come home again and do it all the next day. I don't do well in routine. I'm too unconventional and.. all over the place, really. I can't do that.... Ok... I can, but I don't want to. Maybe I just need to grow up and get over it.

However, this last year I made quite a bit of money from soap sales and I did pretty well with that. I think there might be enough demand for this, and it is something I really enjoy.

Each batch typically makes 30 bars. I sell these bars for $5 each, so, $150 per batch. My expenses on ingredients fluctuates here and there, but to start out with I might just have to cut my losses on that part. Not too expensive so I'm not really worried about that. Rent is $580 a month, so I would need to sell at least four batches a month, give or take.

However, my question is, how should I sell my soaps?
Should I look for specialty shops and that sort of thing to 'host' my products? Or should I try to sell online? Or, might I have to walk the 4-6 miles in the early morning and try to sell at the farmer's market? I don't imagine they have these in the winter...

If I sold in local shops (if there are any and they would take me) they would probably require a percentage of my sales, wouldn't they?

If I sold online, my main concern would be shipping. Obviously I would have to sell in increments, but even then shipping can get expensive. I also have no idea how to make a website.. What would I say??

What do you all think? Is this do-able? Or do I have to subject myself and delve into society's oppression and standards of what is 'normal', which I obviously am not.

:hit

Latest posts