Blossom & Flower, a sporatic goat journal _ I think Billy has CL

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
THanks for posting the info on goat polio. I had found it too, I am just too exhausted to spot it on here.

Flower got up last night. I "slept" on the floor next to her. She is able to stand and move around, she even attempted to climb over a bag of books we used to block her in. She is still blind, but we think she can see some things.
Blossom is way better, she still is not jumping and running, but she is definitely ready to get our of the little xpen she has been confined to. I put her in the dog pen just now, where she is safe, but has more room and is outside. SO said she seems happy. She was drinking out of the dogs water bucket.

I am a zombie. I am going to try and get some sleep before the next medication is due at 4 pm.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
:hugs Sorry your sweet little ones got sick. I hope Flower gets her vision back and they both end up healthy. You are such a great Mama to them.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Keep your chin up- it sounds like Blossom has turned the corner, and I will keep sending healing thoughts for poor Flower.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Blossom is definitely out of the woods. She is chowing down on her hay, drinking her bottles and running around and baaaing. She is putting on some pounds. :lol:

Flower is wasting away. She refuses to eat. She won't touch the the bottle, if I put food in her mouth she spits it out. She screams bloody murder when I force her mouth open and put the bottle in.
The vet said it doesn't sound good. He told me to put some yogurt into it to her. He said let her try anything she wants, just to get her started eating. SO things we should make some oatmeal for her. We can put that in a syringe too. He's thinking of using the prepackaged stuff, which is pretty fine.

On top of that she managed to get the catheter out and now I have to stick her every time I have to medicate her and I have to give the fluids subcutaneously :rolleyes:
She is going to be a pin cushion.

Last night I put her in a portacrib next to my bed. I got to sleep in my bed for the 1st time in three nights. I still woke up a lot, but I slept a whole lot better. At about 6 am she managed to jump out of the portacrib. She still can't see. Her diaper was soaked. So I changed her diaper and put her next to me in my bed. We both slept til 9 am, when Blossom woke us up.

Now I have both goats in the x pen. Blossom had her bottle and a big bowl of alfalfa and a long dring from the waterbowl.
Flower is just standing in there.

I'll have to give Flower 2 more meds tonight and give her fluids one more time tonight. So I'll be sticking her three more times, yech, I hate it. It stresses me out. I think I'll have a shot of vodka before I do it.

I also plan on making Flower eat a bit of something every hour. I have tried to give her all the stuff she likes and she just refuses. :idunno

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
Her diaper was soaked. So I changed her diaper and put her next to me in my bed.
:love I wanted to do this with Plum, and she was just fine......I think you are wonderful for giving her that comfort. I wish I were nearby so I could help you and give the shots for you. It is so hard to have to "hurt" your own sweet darling.

Put a couple of big bath towels in your bed and take her in with you.....You won't sleep any better, but if you are like me, you will feel comforted by doing "something" when nothing seems to be working.

Sigh..... :hugs

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Thanks Free. I just put her on top of my quilt, It washes easily enough. She definitely sleeps better, when she is next to me. Sometimes I can fool her and put a pillow in my place and get up and do other stuff, but she lets me know her annoyance, when she wakes up :p
I have been keeping her on my lap, when I watch tv too. Tonight I hope to leave her in the x pen with her sister (in the living room). We'll see how it goes.

Oh and I wish you were here too, to help me give her her shots ;)