Boyd - Day in the life of a hillbilly stuck in Michigan..

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
WOW! I must say I would DIE if I had THAT many rabbits! Dh would die if he had to eat them :lol:

When I had buns my issue was bending down to get to all the feeders/waterers and to clean cages. I had them much higher off the ground, but it just was a pain. I like animals that can all run together and don't have to be caged so much :hu I do like rabbit meat though :) DH won't touch it, so I don't bother. I do have one female now, who is supposed to be pregnant. We'll see ;) IF she is(and I have my doubts) she'll kindle in the next day or so.

I can't get her to eat anything other than clover :hu She won't touch her pellets :/ Just clover. Weirdo rabbit I tell ya.

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
I would love to raise rabbits for meat, but I can't cook it worth a darn, it is always rubbery. Is there a trick?
cook it like you would chicken or turkey.. its a rather dry meat, and if you let it go, it'll be horrible..... I usually stir fry mine with veggies n onions, or soup them..... (my fav) but I love to get some beer batter, and deep fry the chunks in copious amounts of oil and ............................................

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I agree with Boyd! Rabbit is super lean so the best way to cook it is low and slow usually with a nice rich sauce to top it off. Or a nice sweet and hot sticky BBQ sauce.. Nothing like sticky rabbit! Or if you grill it wrap it in some nice fatty smoky bacon! I mean, really is there nothing that bacon can not make better?

If you all ever pass a little place near Nashville Michigan called Mooville ya gotta stop and pet the animals and try the baconator ice cream! Maple ice cream with candied bacon bits in it!

sekinkead

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I cooked our rabbit in the crock pot all day on low and it was wonderful. I have never cooked it any other way so I think low and slow is the trick.

BB, that recipie sounds awesome and I am going to try it with our next rabbit.

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
well, lately it has been rainy here, the storm drain overwhelmed twice. Had to dig/direct water back to the drain tile in the field behind our house to prevent another basement flooding. Also had to pull all the much out around the storm drain that had come floating down from up the road. All in all it was a horrible week so far. Everybody stuck inside, getting on each others nerves.. I pray for sunlight and soon!

emilosevich

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow! what a big garden. Reminds me of Mom and Dad's garden growing up. They were feeding up to 14 people at one time so it had to be large. Ours runs about 50'x50' or so. You've planted a lot already. Makes me wish we could get into our garden.

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
emilosevich said:
Wow! what a big garden. Reminds me of Mom and Dad's garden growing up. They were feeding up to 14 people at one time so it had to be large. Ours runs about 50'x50' or so. You've planted a lot already. Makes me wish we could get into our garden.
I got lucky :/ Now I have to do a whooooooooooole lot of work when it dries enough to walk in it.. I'd sink to my knees at the moment.. oh, and all the sod I tilled under is trying to pop back though :rant

But the good news is everything is coming in strong cept the spinach, carrots and swiss chard but the chard is starting to peek and I have to check my book to see how long it takes for spinach to pop through... carrots are too early yet for sure ;)

MysticScorpio82

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ok I am curious (since I would like to have meat rabbits in the near future), Do you keep them outside in their hutches during the winter?

I assume a Michigan winter is similar to a Maine winter, but I guess I always thought I would have to build a big shed/barn just to keep the hutches in if I did get meat rabbits. Any insight would be apperciated :)

Latest posts