Breakfast for dinner

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Sometimes, I combine the two meals and have chicken with biscuits and gravy. :drool

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
punkin said:
Blackbird said:
I never understood the gravy with breakfast thing.. Muast be a Southern thing.

We only have gravy with mashed potatoes.

I had 'brinner' today, egg sandwhich with cheese and chicken broth sauteed potatoes.
No biscuits & gravy! You have been too sheltered. :lol:
BB - biscuits and gravy is NOT the gravy you put on your mashed potaotes. It is usually sausage or red eye gravy, ime, depending on if your are having sausage or ham for the meal.

I have never made any red eye gravy, but my one of my sister's mil's could make it - mmm mmmm good. She served it with ham, biscuits and eggs.

For sausage gravy, you start by browning the sausage and and use the drippings for the white sauce to make gravy. Just wonderful over homemade buttermilk biscuits. :drool

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh man, ya'll got me craving biscuits and gravy now :drool Which I can easily do...mmmm.

We have some kind of egg dish for supper at least once a week.. Doesn't get any cheeper than breakfast for supper. Love it.

One thing I have been doing is using up my left over homemade bread for a french toast scramble. I cube the bread, make a french toast batter but use a high egg to milk ratio, then fry it up in a skillet.. My kids call it french toast nuggets and they love it. It's way quicker than cooking it up slice by slice.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh yes the southern gravy isn't brown gravy you have with meat. While I am not a fan of it, Tony and Nicole can eat the hound out of it over biscuits!

And this thread is making me starving just reading it!!!!!!

french toast nuggets....that is a great idea!!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Javamama said:
One thing I have been doing is using up my left over homemade bread for a french toast scramble. I cube the bread, make a french toast batter but use a high egg to milk ratio, then fry it up in a skillet.. My kids call it french toast nuggets and they love it. It's way quicker than cooking it up slice by slice.
OH that sounds delicious!! I'm going to try that I think!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
french toast nuggets....that is a great idea!!
I can't believe I didn't think of it ten years ago! I even used to buy those horrid french toast sticks from the freezer section in the grocery. These are so much better, and better for us, since I control every ingredient in them.

Tips: Do not get the bread too soggy, or it will turn to mush. I'm going to try leaving it out for a few hours before I dunk it in the batter.

And you must! Sprinkle with powdered sugar! What is it about kids and food dusted with powdered sugar?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes I like older hard bread for french toast definitely!

and powdered sugar is just thru the roof! not something you hardly ever get, so it is just "oh so special"!! and tasty!

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
STOP! I CAN'T TAKE IT! Nevermind-you did it. Now I'm hungry. I want .....French toast... and biscuits ......and pancakes ....and eggs over easy......and sausage...... and bacon..... with chocolate, sausage or white gravy..... and hashbrowns.... or maybe an omlette........ I could go on forever. Now what am I going to fix!?! :barnie

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Spending 35 years living in deep south TX, this recipe appealed to me, what do you think? I saw it last night on Good Eats and remembered my nanny would make it for us.

Homemade Waffels served with fried chicken and either red-eye gravy or syrup, maple if you can! :drool

It is a southern dish, so not all of you would find it as appealing as I do. Sounds pretty good to me right now! It is probably a good thing that I never learned how to deep fry stuff.

(My mother who is a vegetarian would have died knowing we were eating this behind her back!)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh yes BBH
fried chicken and waffles is a biggie in the restaurants! they make a killing off that combination!