Breakfast for dinner

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
I have about 125 hogs on the farm.
great googley moogley! that is totally my nightmare! i hates them pigs... and we only have two! my hubby is gone for a couple nites so i have to feed them...grrr....

so - do you process your hogs? or send them out? do you cure/smoke your own bacon/hams??
(sorry to hijack but since we're talking bacon here....)

i think we had a bit of a frost last nite (yikes!) and i didnt get all the maters covered..darn i might have killed them
:-(

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
As I said in a different post I worked for a very large cheese plant in Wisconsin and once a month we would have a Rabbi come in to bless a 50,000 pound vat of curds so we could put the circle k mark on it and sell as kosher, there was no difference between the product other then the $10,000 the "faith" charged so their people could have something to go with their whine [sic].

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
great googley moogley! that is totally my nightmare! i hates them pigs... and we only have two! my hubby is gone for a couple nites so i have to feed them...grrr....

so - do you process your hogs? or send them out? do you cure/smoke your own bacon/hams??
(sorry to hijack but since we're talking bacon here....)

i think we had a bit of a frost last nite (yikes!) and i didnt get all the maters covered..darn i might have killed them
Tony's best friend Kevin is a local custom processor. Right down the road. We haul a hog one per week to process. (I ain't doing that work! :) )

We sell at the farmer markets. To do that we must use a federal inspected processing plant for pork.

We make all into whole hog sausage and sell the hound out of that---keep center cut pork chops, ribs, and that is it. Live etc. my MIL makes livermush and uses the jowl and all that mess..LOL...I don't.

Hogs can be very dangerous. We are very careful big time. They are mean and that is no lie. Yea, a little one that is a kinda pet is one thing, but when they hit 4-500 lbs and are farm raised, they are very dangerous. We don't play with these things, they are a biz and farm income.

But yes I don't like them either. The stink alone right? LOL

I don't like fresh bacon. Kevin doesn't have a cutting machine for bacon and won't do it. I tried making my "own bacon" and have eaten it alot of times.....sidemeat don't cut it for me----honestly I love the cured, smoked bacon from the store best..LOL

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
I think you are being unreasonable, pigs in that small of a number should more like pets and very friendly being the second smartest land animal on earth next to chimpanzees - dolphins don't count cause they is liquid and humans are too stupid to even come close because they text while driving at 60+ miles per hour ... note that is equal to 88 feet a second.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
xpc said:
As I said in a different post I worked for a very large cheese plant in Wisconsin and once a month we would have a Rabbi come in to bless a 50,000 pound vat of curds so we could put the circle k mark on it and sell as kosher, there was no difference between the product other then the $10,000 the "faith" charged so their people could have something to go with their whine [sic].
I hear ya.
No difference in the product except the blessing. I guess people want that and accept that and are comfortable with that.

LOL--do you love cheese still or sick of it?--LOL
I love cheese! never part me from cheese.....but if you worked there did it sour you on it?

just wondering.....lol

I worked at a bakery so so so so long ago. To this day I hate donuts, cinn. bread and all that mess. Working with it just made me despise it?? oh well,...good for the waistline.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
I think you are being unreasonable, pigs in that small of a number should more like pets and very friendly being the second smartest land animal on earth next to chimpanzees - dolphins don't count cause they is liquid and humans are too stupid to even come close because they text while driving at 60+ miles per hour ... note that is equal to 88 feet a second.
thats hilarious... hee hee hee i dont think i'm being unreasonable - whatever that means. our pigs are food and they are not pets. as FC says they are dangerous and i only go near them with a stock cane and two big dogs. i had one of them try to come up over the fence at me last year and it was not funny at all. he wanted the feed bucket - all 250lbs of him. what he got was the business end of my cane and the fightin' end of two huge shepherds. and no i dont think they are particularly smart. people say that but we dont see it at all.

go ahead and have pigs as pets if you'd like - i cant wait for the bacon!

FC - i'm just wow'd by you. i considered getting a sow (tamworth) but i totally got over it when we went to visit the guy. holycow his sows looked like rhinos!!! i was very happy to pay for the feeders not to have to mess with that!

and they stink. boo pigs! yay bacon!

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Pigs when converted to bacon can and will be your best friend.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh man we bred piglets for many years.

now we buy small piglets and raise them.

the sows are monsters and we had many that couldn't even get up --it was overkill....I couldn't stand breeding. And many got squished! And the boar hog --oh my talk about nasty!

hogs get HUGE and I always felt so bad for the monster sows.

We stopped breeding about 5 years ago and just purchase the piglets. So much easier to handle for me.

So many think of Arnold on Green Acres--the cute nice pig. They aren't like Arnold at all....LOL...they get super big fast. I am sure there were dozens of Arnolds! :)

Also alot of people get a hog and raise it up to a smaller level, like 300 lbs and process...that still being a smaller hog. We raise top hogs to 350 lbs and then we raise up other hogs into the 500 range. Then ya got trouble! LOL---loading up to take to the processer is a dangerous battle every week. Whew...poor Tony. I don't mess with them...he does all the hard work.

We had one almost get over a 5 ft. gate when he jumped it. Tony was amazed. He just didn't think something that heavy could spring up that high..LOL

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I like that XPC
"converted" into bacon! :p