Breakfast for dinner

deb1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I don't understand who decided which meals are breakfast only or dinner only. It isn't as if the food's nutritional quality changes during certain times of the day.

Instead of sugary cereal, my kids eat leftovers often for breakfast. If it is good enough for dinner, why not breakfast?

I make 'breakfast' for dinner some nights because I like the foods that have traditionally been considered breakfast foods, like pancakes, but am not awake enough in the morning to cook.

Once I got in a discussion with another mom. She was criticizing another woman because she gave her children left overs before school. When I asked why that would be wrong, the woman informed me that dinner meals were too heavy for breakfast. Excuse me, a meal of pancakes coated in butter and syrup with a side of sausage and scrambled eggs is less heavy then lasagna? Um... I don't think so.

deb1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
keljonma said:
punkin said:
Blackbird said:
I never understood the gravy with breakfast thing.. Muast be a Southern thing.

We only have gravy with mashed potatoes.

I had 'brinner' today, egg sandwhich with cheese and chicken broth sauteed potatoes.
No biscuits & gravy! You have been too sheltered. :lol:
BB - biscuits and gravy is NOT the gravy you put on your mashed potaotes. It is usually sausage or red eye gravy, ime, depending on if your are having sausage or ham for the meal.

I have never made any red eye gravy, but my one of my sister's mil's could make it - mmm mmmm good. She served it with ham, biscuits and eggs.

For sausage gravy, you start by browning the sausage and and use the drippings for the white sauce to make gravy. Just wonderful over homemade buttermilk biscuits. :drool
On mother's day my hubby makes whatever I want for breakfast and I always ask for sausage and gravy over biscuits.:drool

deb1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Javamama said:
Oh man, ya'll got me craving biscuits and gravy now :drool Which I can easily do...mmmm.

We have some kind of egg dish for supper at least once a week.. Doesn't get any cheeper than breakfast for supper. Love it.

One thing I have been doing is using up my left over homemade bread for a french toast scramble. I cube the bread, make a french toast batter but use a high egg to milk ratio, then fry it up in a skillet.. My kids call it french toast nuggets and they love it. It's way quicker than cooking it up slice by slice.
Whooo...what a wonderful idea. :) :drool

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
deb1 said:
I don't understand who decided which meals are breakfast only or dinner only. It isn't as if the food's nutritional quality changes during certain times of the day.

Instead of sugary cereal, my kids eat leftovers often for breakfast. If it is good enough for dinner, why not breakfast?

I make 'breakfast' for dinner some nights because I like the foods that have traditionally been considered breakfast foods, like pancakes, but am not awake enough in the morning to cook.

Once I got in a discussion with another mom. She was criticizing another woman because she gave her children left overs before school. When I asked why that would be wrong, the woman informed me that dinner meals were too heavy for breakfast. Excuse me, a meal of pancakes coated in butter and syrup with a side of sausage and scrambled eggs is less heavy then lasagna? Um... I don't think so.
I totally agree with you on this. We almost always eat left overs for breakfast!! Only b/c I really don't feel like lugging out the pots and pans and filling up the sink with them at 6:30 in the morning. (And also I make dinner with lots of veggies to go along with the main course so I know she is getting the protein and vitamins that she needs to stay focused all day.

My daughter is usually quite happy chowing down the leftovers too, even if they are cold.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I can personally vouch for pancakes, ham and scrambled eggs for dinner. It is really very good. I know cause it was my dinner tonight. :weee

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
If it is good enough for dinner, why not breakfast?
aint that right!!! my fav breakfast is fried rice with an egg...and who doenst love veggies for breakfast! especially with polenta!!!

golly all of this makes me want to have a scramble for dinner....and yes we love waffles for dinner. sometimes mornings are too hectic for a big production meal - so whatever we had last nite is darn good enough!

:)

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
I'm just getting ready to have diner for breakfast (rice, gravy, and chicken breasts) but did have french toast and sausages the other night at 10 pm.

Who could say no to this no matter what time of day?
bacon.jpg

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
WOW I am a bacon lover!

We had BLTs the other night! To die for! :) especially with the delish tomatoes from the garden...which is just about over here! :(

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
WOW I am a bacon lover!

We had BLTs the other night! To die for! :) especially with the delish tomatoes from the garden...which is just about over here! :(
My tomatoes were done last month but I let them die off because I had too many, when I planted I did not know the difference between determinate and indeterminate and had an acre of vine tomatoes before I knew what was going on. I think I read here that you did not have blanch or otherwise to freeze so i just de-jelled and froze about 100 of them for spaghetti sauce and such.

Kosher people just don't know what they are missing. If you could get one Rabbi to taste you BLT - I bet he would bless every pig he saw (no not us mid-westerners).

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you ain't kidding!!

I have about 125 hogs on the farm. We sell pork, sausage etc.
I live on pork...LOL......delish stuff!

our maters didn't do well....came on strong, tons of rain did something to them. and then a few came back well. It is just the end now. having to cut around the bad parts but as long as I can last, I will eat them all..haha

my MIL makes tomatoe juice out of the truly ugly ones.

So many are getting away from kosher and other food cultures. Nothing is like it used to be back in the "olden days"--oh well.