Breeding season 2010

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Good luck on catching the heat date, Cin!

I'd reckon she was probably in heat then Denise. Like Free said they'll flag their tail a lot, and sometimes they will have discharge and be a bit red and swollen back there. Our Lolli Pop would NEVER shut up when she was in heat, Nubians are sometimes known for that.. Is your Flower the one that's part Nubian? Sometimes they will also mount each other if they are in heat.

Cinebar

Power Conserver
Reaction score
freemotion said:
If your surgery is poorly timed (can't you tell you surgeon that you have to reschedule because your goat will be in full-hussy-mode??? :D ) you still have time for another heat. Or two!
Getting surgery scheduled is all kind of complicated because not only does it have to be on the surgeon's schedule but I have to do it when I have a ride to Seattle and back (240 miles round trip). One of my sons works a rotating schedule and it would be at least two weeks longer before I could get it done if I don't do it as planned because he wouldn't have a day off that coincides with the surgeon's days of surgery (Wednesdays and Thursdays).

And it really is something that needs taken care.

I'd like to see the surgeon's face, though, if I were to tell him I'd have to re-schedule because that's when my goat is coming into heat. :)

Around here, the goats all seemed to be late in starting their cycling - maybe because of the nice fall weather we had. I hope that means maybe they'll squeeze another cycle in at the end? Wishful thinking probably on my part, huh?

I'm a little concerned with the AI thing, too. It seems that it would be harder to catch the doe when she is "just right," although the woman doing it is pretty confident she can nail it the first time.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oh, sorry Cinebar, I was just joshing ya. Do tell the surgeon that, though, just for fun!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
UGH! I know how you feel! Damned goats! I can't tell you how many times I've hollered at goats and been close to crying thinking they are dead.. Then *poof* 'What are YOU looking at. Feed me already!' Why must they do that?!

Cinebar

Power Conserver
Reaction score
As it turns out, I will probably be available to run Zilli in to meet the "straw of her dreams" (AI) if she comes into heat when I think she will. I talked to the surgeon's nurse yesterday and she doesn't think I'm on the schedule for surgery this week.

A little relieved but also not so much. This is something that needs to be taken care of, and with Thanksgiving the following week, it will be at least two more weeks before i can get in. Plus, this is related to an on-the-job injury, paid for by my state's Labor and Industries (AKA "workman's comp"), and this delay could indicate their being reluctant to re-open my case. Legally they have to but they may think that if they throw a few stalls and delays in there, maybe I'll just not get 'er done and save them the expense.

Anyway, I know what you mean by your sleeping goat. I've been scared a few times by a deep sleeper myself. :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I was scared by one of RU's goats earlier this week, and I don't know how many times I've been scared by a sleeping horse!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I brought markers with me once and drew a naked body on the paper johnny
Now I KNOW yer a Yank, Free! :lol:

I took a travel nurse job in RI once and had my first experience with Yankee expressions, one of which is "johnny". The aides kept saying things like "she needs a new johnny, her's is wet" or "we are totally out of johnnys, we'll have to get some from laundry".

Being from the south, where johnnys are either a place to defecate and void,or someone's name, I was very puzzled. So, I had to ask......

The staff hadn't ever met anyone that didn't know a nightgown was a johnny. Who knew?? :hu

Free, Black Betty is clearly NOT preggers...darn her hide! Now, I can only conclude that bargain borrowed ram was shooting blanks! :he Neither hot young ewe was bred by him!!! :smack

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Not any nightgown, Bee, just those open-backed hospital ones that everyone hates because even if you try to wear it backwards, your naughty bits still hang out. :rolleyes:

Too bad about the ewe...can you still get her bred now for a spring lamb?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yeah...as she seems to be in full heat right now, little hussy! She just gained so much weight this summer that everyone was sure she was tight with lambs.

I'm getting a ram in here near the last of the month, I think. I'll miss this heat cycle but that's okay, long as I hit the next one.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I've never heard of a Johnny (other than as a name, or Johnny on the spot), and I didn't have a clue as to what one was! Thanks for the info, Bee.