Britesea - Living the good life in rural Oregon

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's my Great Grandmother's recipe. She made it got breakfast on Christmas morning. My Mother remembered having eggnog as a little girl. My non drinking parents let us kids get sh!t faced on eggnog made by my Grandmother. LOL

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
lol, back then getting a little drunk on Christmas morning wasn't viewed with horror, the way it is today. I remember my mother telling to give my baby a dropper of rum for teething or colic. Today, CPS would probably have taken my baby away if they found out.

Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I remember my gramma recommending rubbing brandy on the gums of a teething baby, lol. At my sons 1st b'day party at my in-laws house their priest was carrying my son around and giving him sips of wine. The in-laws were so annoyed with me when I retrieved my son from his arms!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hey, that teeny bit of alcohol really works; it seems to relax them and they can deal with it. The kid doesn't inevitably turn into an alcoholic because of it, either. All three of my children got that treatment, and of them all- only one drinks at all as an adult.
I remember my daughter begging for a sip of wine at dinner once- she was barely a year old. I offered her my glass, which had maybe a couple of tablespoons of dry red left in it. I figured she would do the same as her older brother had: take a sip, make a face, and give it back. Nope. She drained the glass before I could stop her. For the rest of the meal she was laughing and so happy! Until suddenly in mid-giggle, she just sort of gently sank her head onto the tray of the high chair. I picked her up and put her to bed- and we had a very quiet night. Have to say though, she was a bit cranky the next day, lol.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Here's the EggNog recipe. I haven't tried it yet, but it got a lot of good reviews on LowCarbYum.com:
SUGAR FREE EGGNOG

Yield: 8 1-cup servings

Ingredients:

• 2 cups heavy cream
  • ¼ cup powdered erythritol or Swerve
  • ¼ tsp stevia concentrated powder
  • 2 eggs, separated
  • 2 tsp sugar-free vanilla extract
  • ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 2 cups almond milk or a mix of 1 cup water & 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1 oz rum (optional)
Instructions

• In a small bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and pale yellow
  • Mix heavy cream, erythritol and stevia in small saucepan; heat to boiling. Boil one minute, stirring constantly.
  • Stir half of cream mixture into egg yolks; return egg mixture to remaining cream in saucepan. Cook over low heat until slightly thickened, stirring constantly.
  • Remove from heat; stir in vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cool to room temperature.
  • Stir in almond milk and rum. Beat egg whites until stiff and fold in.
  • Refrigerate until chilled. Serve with additional rum (if desired) and nutmeg sprinkled on top.

Nutrition:

Calories: 179 Carbohydrates: 1.4g Protein: 2.3g Fat 17.8g Saturated Fat 14g

Monounsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 80mg Sodium: 33mg Potassium: 69mg

Vitamin A: 950iu Calcium: 110mg Iron:0.2mg

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ugh, our grey water line is apparently plugged up. It drains the washing machine and the kitchen sink (everything else goes into the septic tank). This morning it backed up into the sink and then all over the kitchen floor. I spent most of the morning mopping up and then pulling everything out from under the sink. We ended up throwing out some of the stuff under the sink and now it's roomier and easier to see what we have in there. Monday we're having the plumber come out and clear out the line. That's $100+ I didn't like to see go away, especially at this time of year.

I bought some turnips for a couple of soups I plan to make (one tonight is a keto version of Zuppa Toscana a la Olive Garden). I don't have much room in the fridge, so I peeled and diced all of them and put the rest in a bag in the freezer. I need to remember to plant more this spring- they are so easy to grow, and I always seem to forget about them and end up just growing half a dozen or so.

Dinner is the soup, with some low carb biscuits, keto molasses cookies for dessert.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So sorry about the gray water line issue. There are no worse issues than plumbing issues- ugh. Hope you get it cleared up quickly. I love the Toscana soup from Olive Garden. Sounds like you’ve got a good substitute for it!

Last edited:

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
?'S for you @Britesea

1. Where does your grey water drain to? Do you have a filter system for it? Have you had the soil tested where it drains? I've always thought a grey water drain would be practical. Chief draw back would be the phosphates from it, and the plumbing aspect of it in our zone 4B.

The turnips you grow, are they the small turnips or the large rutabagas?

Latest posts