Britesea - Living the good life in rural Oregon

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just know that here we rarely have truly frozen ground depth. :idunno haven't checked beyond that. I think you should give it a shot!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
use one of those south facing bins you mention. :)

our frost depth here is two feet. most winters it will not get that deep of a freeze. if there is snow cover that really helps insulate the ground and makes it much nicer for the garden plants if they don't have to contend with the frost heaving. this year i don't have many transplants to worry about, but after some winters i can find plants just laying on the surface after they've been frost heaved out of the ground.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So curiosity got me......all of VA and South into GA, etc, only 6 inches. That varies with weather, exact location, ground type, etc. I cannot remember having ground freeze more than an inch. And that only maybe once or twice. I'm sure the water has a lot to do with our warmer soil. Now I can rest on that issue. :rolleyes:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yes, there's quite a difference in frost depth, note that two feet would be the average... when i was living up north that was like you all are talking about, much more and even then it would go deeper some years.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Where you live is a dramatic factor for gardening -- and raising livestock! -- with what works or not. I cannot imagine living where ground is frozen a foot or two, or three :oops:

That's why my old butt stays more South. 😁:old