Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I got bit repeatedly by both hens while catching them, and then for good measure the blue hen bit me each time I put one back. She's a very mean broody but she is an awesome mother. A few of the chicks are probably hers.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The mean ones sure do a good job, don't they? I had several broodies hatch a couple babies this year, but that nasty tempered naked neck is the only one who successfully raised hers. I did bring some eggs in and put 'em in the incubator, but they all probably have different hatch dates! I did candle 'em and it looks like they're almost all developing...

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well my hens have done far better than I with hatch rates. The two hens with chicks 9 days apart are very protective. The single "musical chair" chick is/has proven to be too old for last hatch hen, too young for first. Guess who is now a single chick mom !! ? :th Tried to put the 4 day old in with 24 hr olds one night. Ok for night, pushed away in AM. Tried with 6 dy older chicks, that hen tried to kill it. I take it out for exercise and play :p it follows me and talks, I am sad for it...need a couple more it's age for playmates. Last time I will salvage an egg. :oops:

Right now I am looking at sooooo many BLACK chickens. Gotta order those leg bands!!!!!!! :thHave 2 more hens who are now broody -- don't need to set more but, may. After all, they aren't laying....might as well do "something". It's not like I don't have fertile eggs! Not like I don't have space & could sell or butcher . Do I want to do more? :idunno Life has challenges :old

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The striped ones looks like my little fuzzy butt.

Miss Lydia

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our lil ones will be 2 weeks old tomorrow and mom is taking them out all day now. I just love watching mamas with their chicks.

IMG_0395.JPG

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
My broody went to stay with the gypsies yesterday, along with a few others in my flock. I hope they will take good care of them.

Miss Lydia, that is a lovely pic and your box full of cute stuff too, Hinotori

:love:love:love:love

I will enjoy you all's chicks until I can hatch some for myself again.

Latest posts