NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
0722171046d.jpg
Mama and 5 babies. The 6th one is nearby somewhere

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My dog got too close and I feared for his life for a moment, lol. She is serious!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Those little black spotted ones look like one of my two babies.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Last year I let only one hen set some purchased eggs. This year I have let several set eggs from my own flock. It has been so much fun to watch them teach, interact and grow. I am anxious for Fall to see the eggs from my babies. It has been worth the loss of egg production from the broody -- and a joy to watch.

Next year the broody hens will be allowed to set but, for some the eggs will be from some purebred lines I have. Want to use a few of the "chosen" hens eggs covered by select roo. Guess they will be a little annoyed at the segregation it will take to keep the lines I want. So be it. They will still live well.:cool: More work for me to do but, hey, what else do I have to do? :idunno This years chicks are very nice birds...most will be EEs. Love them! Just want to get this "did that" behind me on those I bought for pure type. My experiments!

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
IMG_1044.JPG IMG_1002.JPG IMG_1204.JPG just have to share some pictures of my broodies. not all chickens but good mama's none the less. first pic is a BA who hid her nest and presented me with 5 fuzzy black babies. second pic is of one of my dark Cornish hens who sat on and hatched a dozen muscovie ducklings, she was so confused when they started jumping in the water pan. last but not least is one of my muscovie hens who hatched 14 babies. I've got 2 more chickens setting on nests so well have to wait to see what they have. so far I have a total of 30 baby ducks and 7 chicks. i'm having so much fun watching them. i've had a horrible time with black snakes this year. have lost two chicken nests and two duck nest to them. we've gone to war. I've never bothered them before but they have gone to far this year.