milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bee, we've got our first broodie sitting on eggs right now. We're expecting chicks Saturday or Sunday. This is this hens first time, so we're hoping she makes a good mom. How old were your chicks before you let them go outside?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Bee, we've got our first broodie sitting on eggs right now. We're expecting chicks Saturday or Sunday. This is this hens first time, so we're hoping she makes a good mom. How old were your chicks before you let them go outside?

I let them go out anywhere from 3 days to a week, depending on the weather and what's going on in the maternity ward.

Chicks without a mama go out at 2 wks.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I broke ALL the rules this year. Normally I put the broody in her own pen & house. She can mingle when they hatch.

This year, found one & after 3 days gave her ten eggs. BUT not penned off. Soon as others saw eggs in a nest, they added more.
Eventually a 2nd hen stayed to "help" I'm guessing 25 eggs there and since I set her on 4/6 -- she has chicks and eggs and both hens claim both!!:th:hide:pop I'm watching! This is day 21.
Obviously some will hatch! When one gives up - probably 36-48 hrs - I'm planning to put chicks with her and hope hen #2 keeps hatching. Plan B -- a third hen has one been setting an old electric plug and she will get an entire nest full to continue.

I figure next week the hen in the trailer will begin to hatch. I found her & nest. :idunno

"HOUSTON, we have a problem!"

Good news -- my last preg goat had trips about midnight. All is well. ( 2 doe/1 buck) It's been a busy day. :love

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
DS' little game hen went missing yesterday and I'm suspecting (and hoping like mad) that she went broody on a hidden nest somewhere :fl We haven't been able to find out where she's laying and she is prone to broodiness. We're keeping an eye out, hoping she will show up, so I can catch her and put her somewhere safe. In that case I will find her some fertile eggs to hatch and in a better place.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks Sumi -- sure hope you find the hen. They have these inbred traits. :) Part of why we love them.

Only couple hrs sleep, up @5:30 & guzzling coffee. Work today @10:30-4: Opened pastures for horses to move, goats to graze, etc. Special chores for feed/water the new buckling and new goat mom to bond for a couple days & protect kids until they get their legs under themselves. Having to milk another doe with week old twins and HUGE udder -- 1.5-1.75 gal a day girl. Kids can't keep up, yess nursing & full tummies. Took 3/4 gal last night and she gets so full she waddles when she walks (like her dam--heavy milker).

So far 6 chicks and another 11 eggs...growling hens...may be more chicks tucked under wings. :idunno

Have a nice day everyone :celebrate

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
No sign of her yet. DS is anxious, I'm hoping and praying :fl We're keeping an eye out for her constantly, I even left the backdoor open, knowing her, she will come inside if she comes, demanding food. I was out most of the day yesterday, so I have no idea when she disappeared, or when she may show herself, if she's hiding out there somewhere.