Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Another record here at Fox Run...got a broody. Earliest broody attempt I've ever had, but I'm not surprised. The egg counts have risen quickly, the shells firmed up and the eggs sized out quicker than normal this year too. My window of opportunity to pen the rooster in the broody ward may have closed already.

I'll see if she's serious~she wouldn't get off the nest to eat and she attacked anything I stuck in her face, but would not move off the eggs~ and then I may have to get my broody ward up and running sooner than expected. She is a hen that went broody in her pullet year, which is pretty unusual here. She's a WR/BA mix and has always been a good layer, came into lay on time in her pullet year and is now showing me some good stuff by going broody early...she's 2 yrs old now.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
She sounds like a good hen and she's gorgeous. I wish one of mine would go broody for me. Though I'd have to get eggs from elsewhere for them to hatch. I don't have a cockbird any more.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
She sounds like a good hen and she's gorgeous. I wish one of mine would go broody for me. Though I'd have to get eggs from elsewhere for them to hatch. I don't have a cockbird any more.

If you didn't live so far, Miss Sumi, I'd send you some WR eggs to hatch. You could hatch with a heating pad if you had a mind to do so. Just too far to send eggs and still expect them to be viable for hatching, though. :(

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Beekissed, apart from that, the paperwork to import eggs is a nightmare on both ends! I looked into getting some eggs from the States and good heavens… Big hassle and even more $$$

If my hens decide to cooperate, I'll probably go get some eggs from our nearby travellers. They have some lovely games.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Beekissed, apart from that, the paperwork to import eggs is a nightmare on both ends! I looked into getting some eggs from the States and good heavens… Big hassle and even more $$$

If my hens decide to cooperate, I'll probably go get some eggs from our nearby travellers. They have some lovely games.

You live near travelers???? How interesting!!! Do you get to observe their lives much? Do they still use the traditional horse drawn caravans and use gypsy draft horses and all?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Checked tonight if she was still on the nest or on the roosts...on the roosts, so she may just be feeling a tad broody but not full on in earnest yet. Whew! :thI wasn't quite ready for a broody this early, though it would be nice to get early chicks for an earlier fall finish to maturity.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
You live near travelers???? How interesting!!! Do you get to observe their lives much? Do they still use the traditional horse drawn caravans and use gypsy draft horses and all?
Yes, I used live very close to a group of them and being me, went to visit so I can see their chickens. The poor people were so shocked! They are just, just tolerated here. They have a bad reputation for petty crimes, bad attitudes and rough living and they are not doing themselves any favours by living up to that reputation often. They usually have horses, which they take out on the roads with little buggies, just for sport, and many of them keep chickens too (gamefowl for fighting). Most of them live in trailers, which they park on any piece of vacant land that is suitable. Sometimes near motorways, sometimes on private, unoccupied land. The group I knew got kicked off their patch last year, because the owner wanted to sell up.

Dani4Hedgies

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes, I used live very close to a group of them and being me, went to visit so I can see their chickens. The poor people were so shocked! They are just, just tolerated here. They have a bad reputation for petty crimes, bad attitudes and rough living and they are not doing themselves any favours by living up to that reputation often. They usually have horses, which they take out on the roads with little buggies, just for sport, and many of them keep chickens too (gamefowl for fighting). Most of them live in trailers, which they park on any piece of vacant land that is suitable. Sometimes near motorways, sometimes on private, unoccupied land. The group I knew got kicked off their patch last year, because the owner wanted to sell up.

That is horrible I wish people would simply let people be ugh I have always dreamed of seeing a group of Travelers\Gypsies living simply with nature of course there are bad apples in every bucket but I hate that all are hit with that brush :(

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I personally don't have an issue with them (having seen much worse of humanity in South Africa, I think they are o.k.), but they are a bit rough and otherwise, to put it mildly and it's not helping them a bit. And then of course they do like to break in and steal stuff, which is not common here. Crime rates in Ireland is low generally.

With that said, some of the travellers here are lovely people and I had some wonderful chats and visits with them, despite warnings from people to stay away. Once I convinced them that I am sincere they welcomed me to their camp and proudly showed me all their chickens. I even got a few birds off them.

Latest posts