NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We had a silkie roo briefly. He was not calm, he picked fights with the big birds all the time (and lost, nearly all the time). He came from our friend's hatchery stock... Think that was his issue. Yours are gorgeous!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I almost gave in and bought some EE's at Atwoods the other day. They were so cute.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We had a silkie roo briefly. He was not calm, he picked fights with the big birds all the time (and lost, nearly all the time). He came from our friend's hatchery stock... Think that was his issue. Yours are gorgeous!

I had hatchery silkies once. Most evil nastiest rooster I ever had. First bird I ate and boy did he deserve it.

I cannot say that silkie roosters don't get aggressive towards other birds. Just that all the non-hatchery ones I've had were extremely people friendly. Less suspicious than the girls. Actually them being over friendly as chicks makes me assume boy.

As for aggression towards other chickens, I have many a (hilarious) tale about Genghis Pumpkin -ruler of the silkie horde. He very much believed in territory expansion. He lead his flock on a warpath.

He'd also attack any non-silkie on sight. He beat up my silver and wheaten ameraucana roosters who were 3 times his size. It was so bad that all of the large fowl would freak out and run if a they saw a silkie.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow! Good for him! This silkie also attacked my dogs, robins, blue jays, any non-human being nearby. He picked fights with the dominique cockerels who were a bit too much for him to handle!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow -- Fluff and ATTITUDE!! :p

Thanks for the info. Obviously the feathers are not like most.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can't wait for this hatch of chicks. Some more in it from my mutant giant silkie. I'm trying to get more of a base to cross to but have to be careful on the line breeding. At least 2/3 will be from normal roosters. There is also one fertile egg from my giant new years cockerel. I had saved every egg from the laying girls in with him in hopes. The mother is also big so this 3rd generation chick is of great intetest to me.

I'm going to be looking for a rooster from another breeder with good comb. Add some new blood. Partridge seem to have a comb color issue so I may get a black rooster. They can be crossed in without problem as long as you understand it screws up color on the first generation cross. It can improve the black areas in the 2nd gen and beyond.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So two more hens went broody between last night and tonight. I really just need to separate out the roosters and leave the girls be.

This is what happens when my pots drip water. See they are really chickens under that fluff.
20170703_205505.jpg

Miss Lydia

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:lol: and here I was thinking she got into the gel. So cute.