Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
here is a peek at my table
kTable.jpg

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
xpc said:
Who here can tell me the difference between yellow, red, or white onions, or the valdalis?
This is from the National Onion Association. They have a lot of information about the different onions and availability dates, as well as recipes. (my favorite portion of a website) :lol:

http://www.onions-usa.org/

Onions can be divided into two categories: spring/summer fresh onions and fall/winter storage onions.

Spring/summer Fresh Onions
Spring/summer fresh onions are available in yellow, red and white throughout their season, March through August. Fresh onions can be identified by their thin, light-colored skin. Because they have a higher water content, they are typically sweeter and milder than storage onions. This higher water content also makes them more susceptible to bruising.

With its delicate taste, the spring/summer onion is an ideal choice for salads and other fresh and lightly-cooked dishes.

Fall/winter Storage Onions
Fall/winter storage onions are available August through April. Also available in yellow, red and white, storage onions have multiple layers of thick, dark, papery skin. Storage onions have an intense flavor and a higher percentage of solids.

Storage onions are the best choice for savory dishes that require longer cooking times or more flavor.

Onions come in three colors - yellow, red, and white. Approximately 87 percent of the crop is devoted to yellow onion production, with about 8 percent red onions and 5 percent white onions.

Yellow onions are full-flavored and are a reliable standby for cooking almost anything. Yellow onions turn a rich, dark brown when cooked and give French Onion Soup its tangy sweet flavor.

The red onion, with its wonderful color, is a good choice for fresh uses or in grilling and char-broiling.

White onions are the traditional onion used in classic Mexican cuisine. They have a golden color and sweet flavor when sauted.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, is that also your opinion? I bought one of each a while back and found very little discernible difference between them. Did not test a vidalia because they only sold them in 5 lb bags at twice the price as the others.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
XPC....buddy you need to clean up that table! How do you eat???
:gig

by the way....vidalias are a specialty sweet onion, and yes, pricey. Red onion are best for eating raw (on a burger or sandwhich, chopped on tacos). Yellow onions are your everyday kitchen onion and white onions tend to have a sharper taste.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I love yellow onions for soup or with steak. But I prefer red onions on my grilled burger and in some salads.

Vidalias are sweeter than a yellow or red onion. They along with other sweet onions, like Texas 1015, are usually large onions and are marketed as a specialty onion. That is why they are so expensive. Some people prefer sweet onions, but personally I like onion with bite. :D

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Dace said:
XPC....buddy you need to clean up that table! How do you eat???
Food has not seen that table since 1993 - but may accidentally dribbled on it on the way to the computer desk. Unless it is Thanksgiving and need the staging area when I get back from KFC.

Dace said:
by the way....vidalias are a specialty sweet onion, and yes, pricey. Red onion are best for eating raw (on a burger or sandwhich, chopped on tacos). Yellow onions are your everyday kitchen onion and white onions tend to have a sharper taste.
I likem' raw and crunchy, so i will pick up some reds and perhaps splurge on a bag of vidalias.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Brown Rice & Cranberry Salad

4 c cooked brown rice
1/2 c diced red onion
1 c diced celery
1/2 c dried cranberries
1 c grated carrot
1/2 c sliced almonds

I am thinking that this would make a nice little jar gift.....use dried carrot, red onion and celery and add a little tag with instructions and a note to add the balsamic & sugar.

This would actually be a nice little hostess gift for those who are guests on Thanksgiving.

Edited to add that I just reread the recipe and realized that the veggies are not cooked in the rice. I guess it woudl be different to cook them and just keep the cranberry and almonds separate and add after it had cooked.

Latest posts